Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross Drilled Rotors \ Brake ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Oct 29, 2001.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Cross Drilled Rotors \\ Brake ????

Hey
    I was wondering if any one has replaced their stock rotors with cross-drilled ones. I have stock 10” bolts front and rear and I spent some time looking around on the internet and can not find the price for a set that is intended for the axles I have. What are the different brands out their how much do they cost, compared to regular rotors. While we are at it what kind of brakes pads are you guys running what are the likes and dislikes of the types you run. I think that I will need the brakes done with a front rotor replacement and I’m trying to collect information.
    Anthony

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: Cross Drilled Rotors \\ Brake ????

There's a few guys that run cross drilled in the dez, and they suck - If you ever leave the pavement, rocks will snag in the drilled holes and tear your pads to pieces. Good true rotors with Carbon Metallic pads are the way to go IMO.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Pugsley, drilled rotors are fine for pavement but not off-road, IMO.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Remember that drilling and slotting reduce your useable surface area and reduce the thermal mass. However, either one can be useful for getting rid of gasses when the brakes get really hot and can improve cooling slightly. Slotted ones can also make your pads wear out faster. Try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.kvrperformance.com>www.kvrperformance.com</a> These guys have reasonable prices and may have something for a Blazer, but you'll have to call them.

Myself, I would only go this route if my old rotors needed replacing or if it was a show truck with an open style wheel. Sometimes the people that supply drilled or slotted rotors start out with better metal than the parts store cheap ones do.

You will see more improvement from a performance brake pad than from a performance rotor.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have also heard they are not good to use on the streets do to the drilled areas cracking..

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>