Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross member q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping in a 465/205 and used to have a 350/208. My question is. I have no motor to tell if the tranny is sitting where it should be. Will the cross member with the 465 bolt into the same holes on the frame as my old one? If thats the case it will be fine. But if it's not the case, any one have any measurements for me as to where the crooss member goes? (thats if it doesn't bolt in the same holes as the 350)...

Thanks.

Ryan

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

No it won't. What I did is put the motor in, then put the tranny/TC in then slid the crossmemeber in, marked the holes and dilled them with the crossmemeber sitting on the frame. Worked great, and there was no chance of me screwing up the mesaurements.

nayd

3. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

So they do have to move... is there any notches or indents in teh frame??

Does anyone have some measurements they could give me?

350/465/205... need to know where the cross member goes, as motor is in peices in the garage!

Thanks

Ryan

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No it won't. What I did is put the motor in, then put the tranny/TC in then slid the crossmemeber in, marked the holes and dilled them with the crossmemeber sitting on the frame. Worked great, and there was no chance of me screwing up the mesaurements.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats your best way man.

even though i have been told my 465/203 combo is the same as my th350/203 combo i am still waiting for the engine to go back in.
    no need to do work twice.
    let alone drill some extra holes in a frame.
    get a bare block, line it all up an install. its easier to do a clutch with the tranny out anyway. so you could be doing it twice anyway.
    Grant

5. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I quess eh... if i just strap the block in and slide the tranny up it will be in the same place as if the motor was built.. Maybe i'll do that! Thanks

Now go reply to my carb q!

ryan

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

the 465 203 is the same mounting as the 350 203..

Blake

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ryan,
    Put mine in last night. The crossmember is forward of where it was for the 400/ 205 by about 2.5-3" . I have to drill mine this am and try to get it finished off. It took us a little longer than I thought to get the trans/ case into the truck, but all I have left now is the crossmember holes, the linkage, and the adjustments. Also, it looks like my rear driveshaft will work... barely. Then I have to remove all the stuff from the auto.. vacuum line, tranny cooler and lines, column shifter and linkage etc. Hopefully I can drive her out this aft. I have to work at 3. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Catch ya later
    Mike