Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross member

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jaros44, Jan 1, 2006.

1. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Stephen,Do you have any new products in the works for the coming year, I'm looking for a front crossmember that I saw elsewhere and was wondering if you get into this area?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Here's what I think you are looking for. Hope this helps. :thumb:

Rick

3. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Didn't get it????

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of ORD's crossmember. Just go to their website to get the details. www.offroaddesign.com

[​IMG]

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I ordered one of those yesterday.

6. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Crossmember

I guess I didn't explain clearly, that crossmember does not fit first geners. I was hoping some one would make it for my truck or tell me how to modify it to make it work!

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know how to make it work on a First Gen :D

First get a donor 73+ crossmember & frame horns.
    Get ORD engine mounts and x-member
    Next remove the First Gen X-memeber/ will be easier without the engine in or hangin in the engine bay.
    Get frame horns and engine mounts installed and bolted in-place (after drilling & getting them in the right spot..lots of posting in First gen fourm on this)
    mount ORD crossmember inplace (after drilling)
    This will work...I am in the process of finnishing mine up...at first I used the stock 73+ crossmember but I am now adding the ORD one...much stronger :D

8. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Frame Horns

Are you nuts,You want me to cut my truck in half!!! My brace worked fine for 35 years, there is no way in he11 I would consider this.
    You are one ballsy guy if you do it. How do you know if it comes out strait? Don't get me wrong I would love to have that cross member under my truck, but that is so far over my head I can't even see it:haha:
    Honestly I wish you the best of luck on your project and would enjoy reading a thread on it, but that is as far as it goes.
    The only parts that I have not taken apart is the frame susp. and cowl. If i fool with the frame that leaves the cowl, I can't possibly take another thing off my truck or it will never git dun in you words.
    Hey have a good day and keep in touch from the other coast. Later J.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahahah Cut your truck in half??? hahahha what you talkin bout?
    I already installed a 73+ crossmember & frame horns with ORD engine mounts. I am simply swaping out the 73 crossmember w/ORDs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Besides already having a crack I welded the 73 crossmember comes within +/- 1/8" of the front of my pan...too close & the ORD is way stronger so it will strengthen my frame/engine mounts.

This mod is not easy and the engine would have to come out to get it right...here is were I got the idea:
    [​IMG]

10. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Frame Horns

How far back do you have to cut the frame. In other words at what point does the frame horn actually turn into the frame.
    My wife is away all weekend and unlike you I have no children to watch. So I will be in my workshop from this moment on... Later J.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think you missunderstood..I never cut my frame. What I ment by frame horns are what the engine mounts bolt to. In the artical they show a pic of one without an engine mount.
    I got the ord X-member in
    [​IMG]
    It is closer to the pan than I hoped for but it dosn't touch
    [​IMG]
    So all in all a few holes drilled and done deal.

12. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Totally Misunderstood

Dude that came out sweet, that's what I wanted to do 2 months ago but couldn't get an answer if it would work!!

I thought frame horns were the part of the frame the bumper bolts to, you learn something new every day. As old as I am I should be a genius by now:haha:

I just spent my extra money on tires and an extra NP205, so I will have to wait a couple of months to do the conversion, but aleast it looks doable now. I just bought new urethane mounts for a 1st gen, I'll have to give some one a deal and go out and buy 73 mounts.

As a side note I finished up the drivers side floor yesterday, all my pcs. are screwed in, sure takes alot of effort to do that job, now just have to weld. Sure looks diff. without the rust!!

Anyway Burt, thanks for setting me strait. Now I can do the cross member then on to my doubler-triple stick.
    Back to the workshop. Later J.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha No problem...
    Glad to help.
    Burt