Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross members and a doubler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, May 28, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Are two cross members required? Recommended? Necessary?

If so, why, it is only 6 inches longer than it was before.

Can a second stock one just be used?

Ken H.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Required: NO, recommended: Yes.

Not sure what your year is, but here is what I ran into with my 89'. I have 2 pre 83' Xmembers. I put one up front (the TH350 adaptor) and modified that one for the front Dshaft. (basically made a tunnel in there like in the ORD site).
    For the second mounting point (the ORD adapter), I couldn't use a stock Xmember there, b/c my frame is too wide at that area. It's like 37" or so, and the stock pre 83' Xmember are only like 33.5" or so.

So, I'm in the middle of fabbing up one to use at that spot. It's really easy to do.
    Boss

3. four_by_ken

Yeah, that is starting to make sense that the frame is wider there so the stock wont work.

I think I will have to do something custom also.

Ken H.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

you should run two crossmembers.
    look at my web page on photo page 4 you can see the rear one done and what i have started with the frt. it will make a hoop over the drive shaft.
    www.baloo.rockcrawler.com

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

you should run two crossmembers.
    look at my web page on photo page 4 you can see the rear one done and what i have started with the frt. it will make a hoop over the drive shaft.
    www.baloo.rockcrawler.com

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

has anyone had a crossmember related failure?
    it looks as though the 203 is near the same size as doubler setup.
    would be hard to get 2 mounts to hold equal wieght.
    I would just use the rearmost mount and leave it 3 point like factory intended.

7. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Billy Ray,
    I reconize that autographed ORD Adapter.

Later Ed

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

WHERE DID YOU SEE IT. STEVE SAID IT WAS THE LAST STEEL DOUBLER HE WOULD MAKE.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ahh, so now I know where my old doubler went, Stephen said he needed it to ship out right away.

10. four_by_ken

This is what I am wondering... it is only 6 inches longer... why the need for two crossmembers?

I will probably do two just due to the added forces on the trans and t-case from the new gearing.

But, why?

Billy, looks real nice. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken H.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ken,

From what I have heard regarding the dual crossmember; started with the Gen1 Doubler which was an aluminum "adaptor plate" which required the use of a factory NP205 to TH350 adaptor. During the TTC one of the Gen1 Doubler owners broke the adaptor between the cases. Not sure exactly which adaptor. The problem was from the driveshaft bottoming out. Typically when this happens, it will destroy most cast adaptors, possibly taking the input/output shafts with it. So, this is where the dual crossmember came in to play (I think). Many Gen1 owners built the second crossmember to support the NP205. I have a steel adaptor from WMS. It is 3" in total length. It has a "foot" on the bottom for crossmember mounting. As for now, I am planning to build one crossmember - and a frame support with bushings for the NP205. Remember, the factory supported many transfer cases with a metal rod going to the transmission. I think this is one place where Furd did something right. If you look at a Ford NP205 setup - not sure of years, they have a frame support for the NP205.

Hope this helps.

12. four_by_ken

Dont have the doubler yet... it is supposed to be coming.

So, trying to picture this. Use the stock crossmember under the TH350 to 203 adapter. Then a modified one under the doubler adapter.

But, that would put the cross members only a short distance apart. So, instea of under the TH350 to 203 adapter, move it back under the 205 somehow?

Ken H.

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I will see if I can get Frisbie to take some pics of his crossmembers. I believe if you installed a crossmember under the TH350 to NP203 adaptor, you will have to notch the crossmember for the front driveshaft - similar to Watsons pictures on his site. One other option for the front driveshaft is what Blazer72 did - which is pretty slick. He had a stub shaft built with carrier bearing. It has a u-joint on one end, short piece of tubing, and a flanged connection on the other (toward the front). He bolted this "short shaft" carrier bearing to his crossmember. Then he used a stock length front CV shaft for the front. This allowed his front shaft to be at near factory angle, plus it doesnt require any long/custom shaft or crossmember modifications. I will see if I can get a pic of this as well. Granted, both of these applications I spoke of are the Gen1 doubler - they should be somewhat similar.

14. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I KNEW YOU HAD THIS ONE AT FIRST FOR AN ARTICLE ON THE DOUBLER INSTALL BUT STEVE WANTED YOU TO PUT THE NEW STYLE IN YOUR TRUCK. HE SOLD MINE TO A GUY THAT NEEDED IT FAST AND GAVE ME THIS ONE ( WELL NOT GAVE ) **** BY THE WAY ARE YOU GOING TO BLAZER BASH 02 IF SO I WILL SEE YA.

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Putting the stock Xmember to the TH350/203 adaptor, you will definately need to modify the Xmember for the front shaft. (especially if the 205 is clocked up 2").

If you just put a Xmember at the ORD adapter, then you won't have to worry about the front Dshaft getting in the way.

Note: Like I stated above, on my 89', the stock pre 83' Xmembers are about 33.5" long and my frame width is about 37" in the ORD adapter area. So, stock Xmember won't work for me in the ORD adapter location...if yours is like mine, you will need to fab up a Xmember for that location anyhow...(not hard to do anyway)...am I making sense?
    Boss

16. four_by_ken

Makes total sense. I think I got what all of you are saying now.

I just talked to a buddy of mine that does some real nice fabrication work, he made my bumpers. And he said to forge the stock crossmember all together. He wants to make me up two new ones. So, I say COOL!!! I can get onto the list of a thousand other things to do.

Thanks
    Ken H.