Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over, AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jul 12, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok im dumb, lets just start there
    i have asked and asked, and called many people about cross over steering and still dont know what i need

i know i need a steering sector shaft out of a 2 wheel box, no prob taken care of
    i know i need a set of flat top dana 44 steering knuckels, and then get passengers machined to match drivers
    i know i need a drag link
    and i know i need a new steering arm for steering box, and one for the left knuckle
    but what do i need, where do i get them
    and i have also tried to buy a complete cross over set up on the wanted to buy forum, no luck, so i will try it here
    does anyone have all, or any of the parts i would need to do cross over on my dana 44?
    if so please send me a pm, i am ready to do it, and in a bad way need it, thanks guys

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

sky manufacturing has your steering arm, and superlift part number 1104 is the pitman arm you need for your steering box. depending on which ends you are using for your draglink will determine whether or not you need to have the pitman arm tapered for a bigger end. i ran normal GM draglink ends on my draglink and i had to have a buddy Taper the hole in the pitman a little bit more so i could get the cotter pin to go in.

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Ok, Ok, Ok.... I recently went through the entire crossover thing about 3 weeks ago when I put my Dana 60 in. You got a lot of it right so far... You need: 1. Superlift pitman arm---- Part # SUP 1104
    2. Draglink----- ORD
    3. Steering arm for knuckle-- ORD or Sky manufacturing
    4. 2WD Shaft---- You already have
    5. Get knuckle machined
    6. Tie Rod Ends... This is where it gets fun Now listen closly... You have a couple different choices for tie rod ends all of the ones I am going to tell you DO NOT require you to retaper the pit man arm. Now here is what I did and reccomend you do the same. You get the GM Right hand thread tie rod end Moog # ES2234R and the Jeep left hand trhead Tie Rod end Moog # ES453L With these ends everything will go together well and nothing needs to be retapered or anything. Here's the catch the Jeep end does NOT come with a left hand jam nut. This is a GM part. What I did was call Parts Mike and had him send me the nut for $5. It wasn't worth the time to me to go and struggle with the GM dealer to try and find it. That is it everything you need to complete the corssover and save as much money as you can in the process. Let me know if you have any other questions. Later
    -fLeXy K20

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

For the steering arm it is a tossup between the sky and one from OTT. It is sound advise to use the TRE's if you dont want to retaper the steering/pitman arms but the DLE (drag link ends) are designed to allow steeper angles. Maybe it dont matter that much but if your designing for maximum flex then DLE's will work out much better.

I'm working on a write up here but it may be a while b4 i finish... or it might be tonight /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif