Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over not on the web site?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by four_by_ken, Feb 26, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am looking for some prices and maybe some kind of write up on the ORD website for a cross over set up, and also high steer. But, I am not seeing much. Especially price. Does ORD do a high steer also? I see in one of the picures on the site for the cross over... it looks like there are three rods involved in the steering, what is the third one. I know drag link and tie rod, but what is the other?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The crossover info is linked right off the main page, you should have some decent pics and prices there.
    We don't have a "high steer" conversion at this point and don't know that we will soon. I know it works for some guys but moving the tie rod in increases the stress on the rod by about 100% and makes any looseness in the ends amplified so wobble problems are more apparent. We've had customers recently build themselves a shimmy by moving the tie rod up. OOPS. So, until we can figure out how to get around the increased stress we're going to keep the tirerod out front where it belongs. This may be a good conversion for a trail only rig but I don't think it's a great deal for a daily driver.
    I'm not sure what you're looking at and seeing 3 rods, the crossover only runs the two you mentioned.

OH YEAH, if you're looking at the pics of the D44 crossover on my K5 you're probably seeing the track bar (panhard bar). I don't recommend the track bar for most suspensions since it puts a lot of strain on the frame and binds the heck out of the suspension.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm still playing with hi-steer, it can be done but it is very tight in there, also my K5 is a trail only test rig so I can deal with more bugs than maybe someone with a daily driver, the normal kit that ORD sells works awesome for all conditions and is what I would suggest if your running a daily driver, I just can't leave well enough alone.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

4. four_by_ken

I am about as far from a daily driver as I can get.

:-)

Thanks
    Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Then you may think this is pretty cool: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/temp/histeer3.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/temp/histeer3.jpg</a>

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

6. four_by_ken

Yup, thats what I had in mind.
    I think I remember from a post a while back... I will look to try to find your explanantion on what you did.

Thanks
    Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs