Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over pitman arm Idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Oct 25, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering why no one makes a pitman arm that will fit on a 4wd steering box. I'm pretty sure some people would rather go that route rather than changing the box. Any negatives to something along that lines? Also anyone know the length from axis to axis of the pitman arm ORD uses for the cross over kit? I need to know how long to make the arm I am bolting on top of my king pin.
    Thanks all,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i thougt of that too but its bcuz of how its cl;amps to the shaft , it would have to be 90deg and i dont think it would be very strong , but i am not sure , ill check mine out , er wait i have ords 1/2 ton axles...plus the arm unless dropped , would fit under the frame

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by K10ANDYKHAMNIC on 10/24/01 11:50 PM.</FONT></P>

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

What I had in mind was I complete pitman arm that would bolt in place of the stock one , that could be indexed in the correct direction. Just a thought.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was thinking the same thing this past week and a half when I was doing the lift and axle swap. There must be a reason for it not being done otherwize you would think somebody would be selling them.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The reason is the direction that the steering box turns, not the type of pitman arm.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Ken,

Wouldn't the rotation be the same? I mean if the pitman arm is turning front to back in the stock location it seems to me that if you were able to pull the pitman arm straight down and rotate it so that it was pointing towards the back of the truck and then put it back on it would now be rotating from side to side. I could be wrong (it's happend before [​IMG]). They say all you need to do is take the shaft out of the box and then replace it with a 2 wheel drive shaft and you are done. I believe the reason is the splines on the 2 wheel drive shaft make it so the pitman arm can be rotated completely around the shaft. You can't do that with the 4 wheel drive shaft and pitman arm. Just my $.02

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You know, someone told me this a few years ago and I ahve not done cross over on the Chevy yet(only Jeeps). And I have never really thought about if he was full of it or not. I am going to have to look at it a little more. But, it sounds like you are right. Since I plan on finishing mine within the next couple months, I better figure it out quick. Thanks for gettting me thinking on it.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

8. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

The stearing shaft on a 4wd box is only indexed in one place. This means that the pitman arm can only be placed in one position. This position allows for front to back movement of the pitman arm. The 2wd box is indexed in four positions. That means you can rotate the pitman arm on the shaft in 90% increments. This will allow for the side to side movement of the pitman arm that crossover steering requires.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You should post this on the ORD forum.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the rotation is the same for two and four wheel drive steering boxes on a chevy.

As for why no one makes a cross over pitman arm to fit the stock box...I have no idea. I never really thought about it cause my box was shot and I needed a new one anyway.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>

11. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have read that there is a pitman arm for a 4wd box that you can buy that positions the pitman like a 2wd box/crossover setup. I think I remember people saying something about "Mike the parts guy" Anybody else have a # or contact?

12. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I just made my steering arm for my crossover. It was ~9 3/8" from king pin to drag link rod eye end. My setup was as follows.

Dana 60 1" further forward
    AGR 2wd Rock Ram Steering box
    1977-79' Ford F150 drop steering arm

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the reason no one makes one is the $$$
    when a 2wdr box is so cheap and the volume of the sales of a cross over pitman would be so low, it doesnt make economic sense.
    that's my guess

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If the spline patterns are the same for both shafts, you could file out the indexes on the 2wd arm so they clear the splines on the shaft. I'm not sure if they use the same spline pattern though.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

15. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

The 4wd drive box doesn't have splines. The pitman arm clamps on to the box.

Chad

16. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

It does on the opposite side of where the bolt notch is on the shaft.

Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>