Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross-over steering - A little bird told me....

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

...that OffRoad Design has a prototype system built for the Dana 60 & someone on the CK5 board has one. Anyone know if/when it'll be available to us mere mortals[​IMG][​IMG]??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Look for it sometime after TTC, Stephen is busy trying to build a K5 that will bring home the gold. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Well, now we know who the "someone" is [​IMG] but I won't tell who the little bird was!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Have I got wait that long?? What's the date of the TTC again?
    Have you installed it yet Steve? & if so, how does it look/work??

Brian
    89KBlazer

4. CK5

Early June I think, haven't installed it yet because my crossmember would be in the way as would most, we though it would be a good idea to have a new crossmember in the kit so I am waiting on that. [​IMG]
    I hear ya though, I would like it soon myself. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Steve

I got to talk to Stephen today! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Got to be one of the cooloest guys on the Planet!! I almost didn't call cause I thought my questions were a bit foolish & I figured Stephen was too busy getting ready for TTC to answer the phone. Low & behold, he came on the phone & spent over 20 minutes helping me with mostly how to deisgn/build the new frame for my Blazer!! He also told me about your crossmember issue & told me that he would have the Dana 60 cross-over kit ready in 2 weeks or so!!! It would iclude a STRAIGHT draglink or (one with a very small bend), the passenger side knuckle, and the pitman arm. The total would be approx. $320 for the three (most of that being the pass. arm) The crossmember that you're waiting on could be optional for those that need it. With my new chassis, I'll have the luxury of making my own crossmember & modifying the steering box location as well!![​IMG]
    Anyway, did I mention that Stephen is my new hero!!
    I felt guilty taking up so much of his time but he didn't rush me at all. Answered everything I wanted to know & more besides.

Anyhow, I've got my new source for my cross-over parts and anything else I can buy from him including my TSM rear disc brake kit.

Take Care
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I agree with there coolness factor!! I kinda thought the same that they would be to busy for the piddly ??? I talked to a guy named James I believe. Told me way more than I even thought about talking about. Answered my questions and then some! I've talked to Steven before also and they are great to talk with and never seem to busy to help out. Makes it a whole lot easier when you dont have to wonder if the guy is going to think your an idiot for asking a question. Great guys at ORD!!

7. CK5

Believe me, I ask him many stupid questions myself, like how does blinker fluid work. [​IMG] Yeah, I am waiting for the new crossmember, could have one fabed but would like to review the entire ORD kit together. Stephen really needs to get a 1-800 number though, kind of got in trouble the other day when the wife saw the phone bill.

Steve
    [​IMG]

8. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I might like to see that cross member when you get it. Is it like the one that Stephen runs?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. CK5

dunno

Steve
    [​IMG]

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Blazerboy

The steering arm alone will be approx. $180 according to Stephen. He told me it would be a premium unit with the cap & grease fitting welded in along with an angle in the tie rod end mounting surface to allow the cross-over draglink (approx. $70) tie rod ends to come in near level using a stright (ie not bent) drag link. Stephen also said he wanted to include the pitman arm (again, approx. $70) to ensure the proper leverage & steering response. Total kit-approx. $320. The cross-member would be available as well but it could be used as an option.

Stephen said it'd be ready in (hopefully) a couple of weeks time. Well, he can put me on the order list NOW! [​IMG] I'm in for one. I was going to go off sourcing my own components but I'll stick to the ORD package.

Thanks again Stephen
    Brian
    89KBlazer

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Blinker fluid huh Steve?? Actually, I was more interested in the operation of the aftermarket muffler bearings. LOL!!

13. CK5

These steering arm's are VERY beefy and they have the proper taper in them to offset the natural angle of the 60 as well as the angle of the drag link. As soon as I receive the new crossmember I will do a complete write up showing how to install everything including the 2x steering box. as well as real word testing on some nasty trails.
    I can tell you that not having cross over steering on lower helldorodo (or any rock laden trail) really sucked, at times I couldn't even turn the tires move than an inch without backing up and jocking for position.

Steve
    [​IMG]

14. Brian 89KBlazer

Looking forward to it Steve!![​IMG]

If you & Shawn keep this up, I'll have nothing left to figure out for myself. There'll be a written how-to with photos for all the mods I want to do!!!![​IMG][​IMG] ......and that's a good thing![​IMG]

The only thing I need someone to do now is build a boxed tube frame for a Blazer with integrated roll-cage & do a write-up & I'll have nothing to figure out! Oh, well, maybe I'll be a source for once!

Brian
    89KBlazer

15. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Are they going to make the kit for 10bolts and stuff like that or is this gonna be a D60 only type a deal? I'm sure upgrading to a D60 would bullet proof my truck, but I don't rock climb, heck I barely hit the mud since I can't find any good places near by, so I think I'll stick to the 10bolt. And I'd LOVE to be able to just buy a kit to do xover on it rather than try and figure out how to do it all myself.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

so the only thing you'd need after the kit is a 2wd steering box and the crossmember? I'm about ready to do this conversion to the new D60 coming in and was going to do it myself. But I think this is one mod that I might just buy in kit form.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Sherman, Tx
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

17. Brian 89KBlazer

Bryan

You won't need the cross-member either. That's an option that Stephen said he will have with the kit. He's protoyping one on Steve Fox's rig, I think.

So all you'll need other than the ORD kit is the steering box unless OffRoad Design can come up with a pitman arn for the 4wd box! If that happens, anyone want to buy a Superlift 1104??[​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

18. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Will this system work on the 69-72's?
    I looked at my buddies 86 and the linkage, tie rods all looked the same as my 72.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</A>