Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering arm for dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jstevenj, Sep 13, 2002.

1. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

Hello,
    I am adding cross over steering to my Dana 60 front and am in search of the arm required to do this. I have the tools to make the arm but it would sure save me a lot of figuring if someone had a drawing of one I could go by.

Thanks, Steven

Come on, I know someone has one out there.

2. jstevenj

help me out guys

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Avalanche engineering makes a really nice arm...

Click here

Rene

5. jstevenj

Thanks for the links but I have the equipment and tools to build my own, I'm looking for a drawing of the arm.

6. tRustyK5

Good luck finding "Proprietary info" anywhere... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

7. jstevenj

I don't look at this as asking for "proprietary info". If I was emailing OffRoad Design and asking for this type info then it would be propriatary but I'm looking for the person who has made one for his own truck. I know I'm not the only person who has ever "homemade" one of these.

8. tRustyK5

Best bet is to find someone with a cross-over set-up and rip-off the dimensions from that...

Honestly it looks to be a simple piece, and with multiple holes like the Avalanche piece the geometry could be dialed in later. The spendy part is the tooling you need if you want the tapered hole.

Rene

9. jstevenj

OK, if no one has the whole puzzle, maybe I can get a few of the pieces.

Can someone tell me the taper of the hole for the tie rod end. Also what angle is milled on the end where the tie rod fastens. I'm thinking I'll put several holes in it like the Avalanche like you suggested.

10. tRustyK5

The angle is a 10 degree angle milled into the end of the arm. Taper should be done to match whatever ends you want to run. MJ and BadDog have a ton of great info and part numbers to work with...

Rene

11. jstevenj

Thanks, now we're getting somewhere. Who are MJ and BadDog? Do they have a website?

I'm planning on using the rod that connects the wheels together - drag link? not sure of proper name. What's the taper on that type tie rod end?

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mine needs a bunch more then 10deg

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you have a dif and pitman arm the dims are all in your possesion now.
    you have a 60 so the bolt pattern and the hieght required for the upper kingpin spring is in front of you

if you have a pitman arm you wish to use you make the steering arm about the same working length unless you wish to quicken the steering ratio

the taper is ~7deg but nailing hard part numbers for the correct taper has proved to be tricky.
    I bought the Snapon reamer that was 'the correct' one but turns out isnt really correct taper, close but not perfect

the one I bought is made from ~1" flatbar/plate with a pipecap welded to it for the kingpin spring seat

14. tRustyK5

Well the local airport may also be adding a red warning light to the top of your truck Mike... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 10 deg thing puts the draglink mount surface near parallel to the axle centre line.
    it basically accounts for the kingpin inclination.
    If you study the pics from many crossover jobs you will start to see many times the angle is increased beyond 10deg to try and get the drag link rod end in the centre of its travel or even tailor it to be bind free through suspension travel for an individual truck

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

as Rene pointed out my beater is a tad taller then the truck in your posted pic, so perhaps isnt a good comparo.
    I would look to the MOO 3 link front suspension in the article in tech, and compare it again to a newer image.
    Steve Frisbie redid the steering arm angle on his if I read the photos correctly.
    I would be tempted to ask him if there is a way to determine correct steering arm angle other then trial and error.
    it seems foolish to pay for machining to 10deg and then have to bend it further.
    I think he heated and twisted his arm in a press to the new angle but am unsure.
    the Ned Bacon SAS chev definitely did the twist as he used an old Dynatrack arm and t is obvious in the pics it has been twisted

*edit- I could be way wrong on Frisbie's ride even the early photos show a lot of twist.

18. jstevenj

Re: cross over steering arm for dana 60 - taper solved?

OK, I did a little measuring last night. I put an old knuckle in my mill and used two indicators to measure the taper of the hole. One indicator was used to measure the vertical travel and another indicator was placed on the taper. I measured the displacement of the taper over a given distance. I did this on two opposing sides of the taper so my readings would not require that the axis of the taper and the axis of the indicator travel be parallel. After running the math on the numbers it shows about a 7.226 degree included taper. In order for this to really be a 7.00 degree taper I would have to off several thousands on my readings - not likely with a 5 tenths indicator. Then I got out my Machinery's Handbook and started looking at standard tapers. As it turns out a #33 Jacobs taper has an included angle of 7.266. My measurements could have easily been off by a few tenths which would make this much difference in the angles. I'm betting on #33 Jacobs taper and this shoild be a pretty common reamer at most tooling supply houses.

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, not sure how I missed this post yesterday, but looks like you've got all the info on the arm that I could give (and more).

20. jstevenj

Russ,
    Can you confirm the taper specs. or add info.

Thanks, Steven