Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over steering need steering dampener?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IGOR, Mar 30, 2003.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You guys that are running cross over steering on either Dana 60s or 44s, (without hydro-assist) how are you routing your steering dampener?

I'm going to hi-steer / cross-over right now and am just about ready to start bolting stuff together - but need ideas for steering dampener mounting.

Or, are any of you even running a dampener with cross-over.

Thanks....

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it was even necessary to run one but I figured I'd make it work before ever even test driving the new steering so I made a bracket for this yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I am running x-over/histeer on my 10 bolt with the tierod behind the axle (although this would work with the tierod in front of the axle above the springs as well.) What I did was VERY VERY simple: I went to the auto parts store and bought 2 exhaust clamps of the appropriate size (axle tube diameter) and then cut a piece of 3/8'' plate into a square and welded the clamps to it (just a tack on each end for ease of assembly) drilled 4 holes in it for the u bolts of the clamps to go through. Next I drilled a hole dead center on the plate and mounted a shock stud straight up and down through it. I mounted this bracket on the drivers side of the axle and the stabilizer runs towards the passenger side. As for the tierod mount, there where already tabs welded to it for a hydro ram so I made use of those but you could easily weld tabs to it where ever you want or make a smaller plate with a shock stud in it with little u-bolts holding it to the tierod (like most aftermarket steering stabilzers use.) Shoot some paint on it and it looks really clean, hope this helps, it turned out for me!

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That sounds pretty simple...

I would really like to see some pics of your hi-steer setup.

So do you think you even need the dampener?

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

On my limited test runs with X-Over I can say that you definently need the steering damper..and depending on your tire size I would say get 2. I run 38" swampers and they wander all over the road without a steering damper.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

install a WTO hydro ram... you'll have all the "stabilizing" you could ever want.

j