Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az-k5, Dec 8, 2003.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

This is sorta related to my hub fuse post. Should I go for X-over on my stock 3/4 ton D44 or hold out for the D60 and do x-over then? I am leaning towards the next phase of my K5 and am at a crossroad between a built 44 or a stock 60. I am running 37's and want to keep up (or at least on the same trail) with Fred, Marve, Rob, and the other hardcore AZ guys.

Again any help will be appriciated

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Stock Dana 60, incase you ever have $$ to upgrade tires, power, and such.

Wait for X-over on 60 too.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i say crossover the 44---save all your factory steering on the side, and sell your crossover setup (knuckles, arm, draglink) and put the factory back on and sell the 44 w/ stock steering. that way you can wheel some hairy situation and still turn and when your are done w/ it use the $$ towards the 60 crossover.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you plan to keep the D44 for any length of time, then go x-over on it. I decided I need x-over about the same time I decided I wanted a D60, so I decided to wait. Looking back, it was a mistake to wait.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Wait, Don't waste the money now on something you will be replace in the future anyway.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You need to ask yourself if your going to run larger tires than 37". If not I would say build the 44 and do the cross over.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Do crossover now, but look at this http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=851174&Forum=garage&Words=d44%20crossover&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=848767&Search=true#Post851174 I was looking at it as a less expensive solution to the crossover quandry. And either way you gotta change boxes or sector shafts. Might as well get that over with and throw in a frame brace too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

IMHO the D60 vs. D44 issue has alot to do with availabilty. Can you find a 60 nearby for the right $$$? Do the people you wheel with have a 60 or 44( so you can steal their knowledge and spares)? Do you have a stock pile of 44 spares and access to cheap upgradesor will you buy everything new from 4WPW /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif?

I plan on keeping my 44 cause nobody near me has a 60 for sale for the right price or to swap parts with. I plan to build my 44 a little at a time. Locker first and use up my supply of spare shafts while I save for CTMs and chro-mo shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And IF I ever find a 60 in a ditch or in some old mans backyard for cheap, there is a market for used 44 upgrades, be it here or with Heepers or whoever. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif