Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over steering parts list and questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMCJimmy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm getting tired of the crappy steering! Wait, I haven't even taken it off road yet..... I'm doing the research to put together cross over steering. Here is what I've come up with so far.

2wd Steering Box- 75.00 from yard, I might be able to fined one cheaper through the paper.
    Steering Arm - 150.00 from ORD
    Ford Drop Pitman arm - 50 from 4wpw
    MOG-ES2026L 36.39 Summit
    MOG-ES2027R 32.69 Summit
    Question - Are the DLE's 3/4-16tpi??
    Tube Adapter 3/4-16tpi Right handed - 12.00 Poly Perfromance
    Tube Adapter 3/4-16tpi Left Handed - 12.00 Poly
    Jam Nut Right - 0.50 Poly
    Jam Nut Left - 1.50 Poly

The tube adapters come in may different sizes from 1-1/8 .095 wall to 1-1/2 .120 wall. What's everyone running, I should probably just use the thickest stuff for overkill. Probalby 10-20 bucks for a couple of feet of DOM. They really jack up the price when you only buy a couple of feet.

I'm trying to find someone local to do the machining of the D44 knuckle. figure $70 if I had is shipped to ORD. I should be able to get it done cheaper locally.

Total- 460.0 yikes /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I hate it when I add stuff up.

Since my current steering box is new I was going to swap the shaft from the 2wd box into it. Has anyone done this, how hard is it, anything to look out for??

This is what I came up with does anyone have better/cheaper way to get it completed.

Mike

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why do you need a 2wd gear box if your just going cross-over? It's been my understanding that you only need a 2wd gear box if your going histeer or hydro.

3. DERBST

DERBST Registered Member

You need the two wheel drive box only because it moves the pitman arm from a push-pull (Front to Rear) set up to a side to side set up needed for the crossover steering. You could also go to a local shop and just have shaft swapped into your box from the two wheel unit.

4. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

I probably shouldn't mention this but it may be usefull info for someone. You can use the sector shaft out of the Dodge version of the saginaw gearbox it is made to index the pitman arm in 90 deg increments. As far as swithcing sector shafts just remove the pitman arm and the 4 nuts that hold the cap on top and the sector shaft lifts right out. make sure you have a bucket handy because it will puke out about 3 quarts of fluid.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

cant remember who made it, but im sure if you search a little on here you will find it, Somone is now making pitman arms for crossover that will work on your 4wd box ;P

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, the Ford arm uses different tapers for the DLEs, so what you want is the Superlift #1104 drop pitman arm for a full-sized Jeep (Wagoneer).

7. 87GMCJimmy

Superlift #1104 is part number I have so I just got the make wrong. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

8. 87GMCJimmy

I've been searching and haven't found anything like this, if you have any info please share. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks,
    Mike

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Try calling Parts Mike regarding the pitman arm you describe. Mike's # is 530-885-0673

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

oh i forgot to say, i had a friend taper it for Chevy DLE's

a machine shop shouldnt charge that much to do it, itll take about 5 mintues.