Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross Over Steering Question PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaneopie, Jul 3, 2001.

1. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

I just helped a friend do a custom cross over steering on his 1973 3/4 ton chevy truck and i plan on doing the same to my 1985 k-5 blazer. We took the shaft out of the 2wd steering box that the pitman arm attaches to and put it in the 4wd steering box. And it seems to work ok. My question is does anyone see a problem with doing this? Or has anyone done this before and ran into any type of problems?

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Nope works just fine. Thats how I did mine, been going strong for 2 years now.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

3. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

The reason I am asking is because we are having trouble getting it to turn full travel both ways. It will turn his tires in any kinda bind no problem. But the turning radius is not that good. Just as bad as if we still had the old steering set up if not worse. Any ideas why this is happening? PLEASE HELP!

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

First I would disconnect the drag link and make sure the box travels 3 to 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the box. The overcenter adjustment can cause binding if not set properly.
    If this is not the problem your steering and pitman arm lengths may not be right in order to put the steering on the stops each direction.
    Just my thoughts.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

5. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your help. The pitman arm we used was the jeep pitman arm everyone talks about using. I will check out the steering box and see about the lock to lock turn ratio.

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Im the guy with this truck.Ive got the over center adjustment correct and this steering box will only turn 2.5 turns lock to lock.What actually could be wrong with the box? ive got another box waiting to go in but wanted to rule out that the drag link was the correct length.I believe it is but since the box will only turn 2.5 times lock to lock i cant get full travel from it.I was thinking that maybe the 4x4 box didnt have to turn as far since it rotates front to back instead of side to side,but if this is wrong then i should be able to put this other box in and it should work fine,providing its in good shape.ANY IDEAS OR INFO? Thanks again

LOOK BEFORE YOU EAT YELLOW SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!