Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Mar 12, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be adding cross over steering to my 82 K3500 w/ a D60 front. I want to improve steering and hopefully somewhat improve the steering problem associated with a Detroit Locked rear.

Who are some of the suppliers of a cross over steering set up? I've looked at ORD but there system seems a bit expensive. Anyone else offer a cross over set up?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Rockstomper off the top of my head. I know there are others including guys making/selling arms on Pirate.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My Rockstomper kit should be here in the next day or 2. It included the pitmen arm, drag link and both ends, steering arm, and tie rod with both ends. Both rods are the sleeved rock rods and the total was $540 to my door. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

i just got my cross over steering arm for my dana 60 today i ordered it from ord the cost was 185.00$ for the arm you said that they are a little expencive but there parts are very well built. i have seen some other cross over arms from other companys and they just dont compare to ORDs quality.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I got the arm from Avalanche along with inserts and lock nuts to build my own "rock rods" for less than $150. I don't remember the exact amount and I'm not home to check the receipt. I still have to buy the tube but that is all.

Main reason I went with the Avalanche arm is the options provided for steering geometry changes and high steer (just have to buy another arm when I'm ready) and the price. The also have a very good rep for quality and support. The ORD design doesn't support high steer last I checked and it costs quite a bit more as well.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the other vendors. I went with Rockstomper. I hear what you are saying about the versatility of the Avalanch set up and the ability to upgrade to the high steer set up, but, I don't think I'll be doing that. Just barely convinced myself to do the crossover steering! I got the parts for $360 and the owner, Scott, told me how to convert my 4x4 box so it would work with the crossover set up for a heck of a lot less than a new box. Scott was a big help, spent some time on the phone with me, very knowledgable. I think I'll be happy with this set up ... and happy with the money I saved.

Thanks again for the response.

Eric M.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I guess for $360 you did not get the tie rod. I went ahead and got it since I am going to be doing the hydro assist and only wanted to have to weld the mounts for the ram once.

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Correct. I'm using the stock tie rods and shaft. No hi steer set up.

Eric M.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am not going hy steer either. The tie rod is the Rockstomper Rock Rod which is super heavy duty and won't bend like a stock one if you smack a rock. I just got the stuff today and when you get yours you will be impressed. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif This is some stout stuff.