Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Mar 14, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

ok im about ready to do my cross over steering and was wondering how i set up the gear box. I know i have heard people talking about the pitman arm can be indexed in like 4 places........how do i know where to put it?
    thanks

2. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

3. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I would just buy one for a 2 wd pickup that way you know its right .<font color=red> 1 FN HI K5<font color=red>

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Why spend $280 for a rebuilt box when you can just get the output shaft from a box at the junyard for $10 or so?

The 4wd output shaft only allows the pitman to be placed on it in one location. The 2wd output shaft allows 90 degree increments. You can swap that shaft in place of the 4wd shaft in your existing box. Remove the pitman arm, take 4 bolts off the top and the 4wd shaft comes out. Swap in the 2wd shaft and cover plate and you are done.

5. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i have already ordered the 2 wheel drive steering box. I got it for 65 i just need to know how to index the pitman arm correctly

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

excellent deal you got. Basically you center the steering wheel by turning all the way to one side, counting the turns needed to go to the other side and then center it. Put the pitman on so its facing the rear of the vehicle and you're done.

7. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I used a drop pitman arm off of a ford bronco and it allows me to clock it in as man positions as there are splines on the shaft its realy cool.