Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over Steering V/S High Steer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Jul 7, 2006.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Sounds like a bunch of cows doesn't it,:haha: Well here goes..
    Got some information on fixing my 78 that has a 6 inch lift, some dumb misfit slamed into my truck putting a big dent on my front passenger rim and bending the knuckle, I was able to save the axle and pull off the knuckle, so I went on ebay and saw this thing called high steer and this weird looking knuckle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8065588133&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

That didn't have the tie rod stem on it, would this be a better item for my truck?

So I kept looking and found this::D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8076090973&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Wow!:eek1: interesting, so I looked up this thing called High Steer and noticed you have to to alot of modifications, What mods do I have to do, is it better than the famous cross over steering or will this be the more advance setup for my steering problem.:dunno:
    Mike

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hi steer is just an addition to regular crossover. It moves the tie rod up above the axle with the draglink. You need a hi steer arm on the driver side. The knuckles in the first auction are just D44 knuckles without the stock tie-rod location. You do not want the arms listed second. They don't have the angle machined into them to account for the angled surface on top of the knuckle. When your suspension moves the rod ends will max out very quickly. Just buy some steering arms from a reputable vendor like Sky, ORD, WFO, or Northwest fab to name a few.

Side note. Hi-steer puts more stress on the top of the knuckle especially if you plan on hydraulic assist in the future.

Pic of hi-steer vs standard crossover

Hi Steer

[​IMG]

Standard crossover

[​IMG]

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like has been said xover is just the draglink changing, high steer is moving the tie rod up with the drag link. both work very well. But both can be done with out buying new knuckles. You need knuckles that are called flattop very easy to figure out if you have them as both knuckles will look the same except one wll have three holes drilled in it and the other will be flat but not have the three holes drilled in it.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever have any trouble with this on a non hydro system?