Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross-over steering...w/ a factory 10-bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Sep 4, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok...like many Blazer/Jimmy off-roaders, when the front end starts to flex, I lose all control over the steering. This is bad. I won't be upgrading to that nice D60 any time soon (barring winning the lottery) so I was wondering just how tough it is to make a cross-over steering system for the factory 10 bolt in my '85. My steering box isn't doing so great anyway, so if I had to swap it out for a 2wd box, I wouldn't shed tears over it...it would prolly be an improvement. At any rate, I see info for D60 and D44 cross-over steering setups all the time on the www....but never anything about 10-bolts. Anyone have any ideas?

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Why not just an AGR Rock Ram? it'd be transferrable to the D60 if/when you make the swap - just a thought.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've never really read up on the AGR RR....would it solve the steering geometry probs or does it just provide more power to your PS?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It (RR) will not solve the geometry problems. It is just an assist. Also, if you do a search here or on pirate you will notice there are a lot of people not happy with AGR.
    The reason you don't see crossover setups for the 10B is only the L/H side has the flat top knuckle that is needed to mount the steering arm. There is one option that I thought of that noone has come up with. If you have ever looked at a Jeep J10 pick-up you will see the knuckles on the D44 that it uses do not have a flat top, either. They (both left &amp; right) are similar to the R/H 10B knuckle. What the J10 does is runs the draglink to the tierod its self, near the R/H side. This would give you crossover with out the need to swap the D44 knuckles onto your 10B.
    I don't know if it would line up and it would be more vulnarable to rocks, so it is not the ideal solution. OTH, if you could do it and keep the tierod above the knuckles, like All-Pro's Toy set up it might be an improvement. Just some ideas for everyone to think about.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. an interesting solution, seen on a solid-axle conversion 90 chevy here in texas....

steering arm drives a stationary ram, that is coupled to another ram that sits down on the axle, held by big-ass brackets and using modified steering arm. no machining! just a bunch of fabwork.... the guy, his name is kevin, says once all the air is purged from the system, it feels like the hydraulics aren't part of the equation- he gets nice feedback and all, no scariness... i suppose you could mess with the arms, and get some leverage to help the assist, but he left it as-is with 35's and was fine. the thing has ridiculous flex, and the 2 hydraulic hoses that run to the axle don't care how it's flexed up, they work just fine....

i was impressed enough to plan to do this instead of a crossover...

while it doesent get the tie rod out of the way, it certainly solves the other part of the problem....

we have a meeting ( tx4x4) here soon, i'll snap some pictures if he's there!!

greg

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You can put dana 44 flat top knuckles on a 10 bolt. Have the passenger side machined, drilled and tapped to accept a steering arm. Stephen Watson was running crossover on his 10 bolt.</font color=blue>