Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross Over Steering?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ljbear, Apr 9, 2004.

1. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

I'm looking at a 6" lift for my 71 and cross over steering. I know I'm after a 2wd power steering box, but not sure what years are best for my application. Any /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Just pull the sector shaft from a 2wd box rather than a whole new one. The sector shaft is easy to remove just four bolts on top, take the pitman off, and it slides out. I got one at a yard for $9 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am looking at this also but don't know much about it. Why a sector shaft from a 2 wheel drive? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

its because the sector shaft for a 2wheel drive is keyed different than a 4wd one. You cant get the arm to point the right way with a 4wd shaft

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I believe you need a pre-'76 2wd box, they have the same fittings as your current box, this is what offroaddesign told me, I've not installed mine yet, but I'm sure they know what their talking about.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking at this also but don't know much about it. Why a sector shaft from a 2 wheel drive?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The sector shaft in a 4wd box makes the steering arm go front to back, and trys to convert the front to back motion 90 degrees to left to right motion on the drivers side knuckle.
    The 2wd sector shaft makes the steering arm go left to right, then you add the crossover draglink over to the crossover arm on the passanger side knuckle. Left to right steering makes more sense to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe you need a pre-'76 2wd box, they have the same fittings as your current box, this is what offroaddesign told me, I've not installed mine yet, but I'm sure they know what their talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yah i grabbed a '76 box i think. I was looking for pre '77 stuff at the junkyard.
    Just make a mental note of exactly where your two hoses hook up at the top of the box, and find a 2wd box that matches. Then i sent it in to WTO had it rebuilt, drilled & tapped, and got the hoses and hydraulic ram for hydro assist steering. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Night and day difference even without modifying the PS pump. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif