Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross over steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just had a couple questions for the guys who have done this. Do you have a parts list that you need for the mod? Such as a different steering box, different pass side knuckle etc.
    Also, was wondering if it would be the same result (or work as good) if you fabbed up a F*rd or Dodge type of system where the crossover link was attached to the long drag link? It wouldnt be too hard, and probably very cheap as well.
    This is a possible mod for Thumper this spring added to the list, and just curious if there are different options for doing it.
    Thanks'

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Don't know about part numbers but on the subject of steering boxs.I think in 79 the boxs went too a metric fitting.Just something too remmeber unless you want too switch shafts in the box or buy new lines.And the draglink connected too the tie rod i think is what you ment.If you leave the tie rod in the stock location i don't think it would work.the angle on the draglink would be steep.and the geometry wouldn't be right.I had thought od putting arms on top of both arms than run a tierod between the two.then connect the draglink too the tie rod.But i think there is clearence issues.Hope this helps.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

anyone else?

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have an article on this site and on the Chevy section of Off-Road.com for the Dana 44 and 10 bolt conversions. Shawn has one on the Chevy section of Off-Road.com for the Dana 60 version.

Connecting to the stock tie rod can be done, dont know about the mods, but I have seen it done with the Chevy axles transplanted in other vehicles. I dont think its as strong as the setup that most of us have used, I have also heard that it has way more bump steer, I dont have hardly any with my setup.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw a guy switch his tie rod (left to right) so that the hole for the steering stabilizer was on the passenger's side (and not the drivers), had the holes re-reemed on the steering knuckles to put the tie rod on top (instead of on bottom), put in a 2WD steering box, a 2WD steering arm that was custom machined (cut, twisted to give a better angle, re-welded, and braced) so that the new steering link end (actually a tie rod end) bolted at an angle which pointed toward the mounting point on the tie rod (instead of the factory horizontal plane), then custom fabbed a link from the steering arm to the tie rod. The angle was a little sharper than that of the crossovers where the link is attached to the knuckle, but he said during flex, he still had lock to lock steering, and was much firmer than stock and did not have to modify the front crossmember. He did advise heavily using one of the off road designs steering box braces (but that should be used no-matter what kind of steering you have unless it's totally hydraulic). He said it can be done on a stock height vehicle, but the tie rod cannot be put on top of the knuckle (otherwise it will hit the spring under extreme flex). He suggests a minumum of 2-4 inches of lift if putting the tie rod on top. The only thing I forgot to ask is if any modifications were made to the tie rod where the original stabilizer mounted to fit the new link end (actually just a tie rod end). He used a rancho dual stablizer kit that clamps to the tie rod since the original did not fit any longer. He was from VT and I saw it at the 99 New England 4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals in Essex-Junction, VT. I missed it last year, so I did not see if he came back and/or still had that set-up. This year I am definitely going come he!! or high water in August (4th to the 5th).

6. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

i think ill have to use a 73-75 2wd box on my 74. im making my own rock rod and rock link, WAS SUPPOSED TO GET A KNUCKLE FROM KEN BROWN, but ill have to get another one friday. im going to mill it drill it at school, make a steering arm as well once the knuckles done. all of this will be using standard tapered rod ends. the tie rod and drag link are massive; i should weld a shackle to it for a winch point=) ill be sure to take piics if anyone cares.....