Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ducati-cooter, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

I am wondering if doing the cross over steering would really pay for me. I have a 90 jimmy I drive to and from work every day, It will never see any hard trail riding only little off road excursions up north on occasion(unless i move). would I be better with the stock factory set up. P.S. I need help quick as the box is shot I can turn the wheel 1/4 turn before I get motion.

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

How much lift do you have? The biggest difference you'll notice on the street is a reduction in bumpsteer.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

stick with the stock setup.

Crossover in your case would be major overkill.

4. ducati-cooter

no lift am considering a 4 inch in future if more wheeling is allowed

5. Waxer

Crossover will CREATE bumpsteer. The stock setup should have very little to no bumpsteer at all.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My .02

My Blazer will track through bumps and uneven road conditons better now with crossover.

More movement is translated to the steering wheel though.
    If I relax and let the wheel movement happen it drives great. But don't get a deathgrip on the wheel!

I would say it has less bumpsteer if you mean outside conditions making the vehicle pick its own path.

7. Waxer

"More movement is translated to the steering wheel though"

That is bumpsteer =)

It's simple geometry how more bumpsteer is created. Unless you have a setup like Shawn's with the bent draglink which sits horizontal you can expect some additional bumpsteer. Yet that is easily outweighed by the ability to fully steer with the axle crossed up.

8. ducati-cooter

well like I said earlier the truck goes to some back country pits and some minor hill climbing to get to a certain mud play land, sorry guys all of it is illegal and tresspassing but I don't know why there is nothing back there but a huge sink hole and mud.

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I don't agree, bumpsteer is caused by the arc that the draglink moves through as the suspension moves. The shorter the draglink-the tighter arc it travels-which moves the steering arm or pitman arm as it travels through the arc. If you extend the draglink by changing to crossover you decrease the arc that it travels though and therefore lessen the amount of movement at the pitman arm or steering arm.

10. Waxer

Well do you ever encounter a situation where you dont have the ability to steer? Like with rockcrawling you would notice REAL FAST. But for mudding you basically are going straight and fast so there really isnt a need for it.

11. Waxer

hahaha I'm sorry man but you are wrong.

Looking from the front the draglink goes from side to side in a downward angle. Its connected to the pitman arm on the steering box and the steering arm on the axle. When the axle moves up and down that draglink also moves up and down. Because its at an angle, when the axle moves up, the distance between the steering arm and the pitman arm shorten. That is going to put pressure on the pitman arm since its the only thing that can move. In return your steering wheel is going to move.

Read Steve's article on crossover steering on the project UAV page. It explains it a bit more technical than I did. Enjoy.....

Quick question, do you have crossover to know what I am talking about? I do and so does my roomate. We both experiences additional bumpsteer.

12. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

only when you have the driver's side at full extension. the drag link will be fully extended just to keep the tires straight. You can't turn right--I think- could be wrong. Anyway you probaly won't encounter this with stock suspension, takes more travel to causes a problem.

13. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Maybe we can get some other opinions on this?

14. Waxer

Here, I'll make it a lil easier for you...

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/ordcrossover.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/ordcrossover.shtml</a> and to be more specific, here's bumpsteer explained and how it will be created with crossover.

3: This is the good stuff: Bumpsteer, Bumpsteer is defined as unintentional steering motion of the front tires when the suspension moves in a straight up and down motion, for example hitting a speed bump or large dip in the highway. This causes both front tires to move upward the same amount. You can feel bumpsteer in your truck by letting go of the steering wheel when you’re driving over speed bumps or “whoops” in the highway. If the wheel jerks as you go over the bumps, you have some degree of bumpsteer. Stock GM steering can work well in preventing bumpsteer just because the steering linkage is pretty well located for vertical travel and moves in the correct arc to keep the steering wheel and the tires in sync. Crossover steering will have some bumpsteer because the leaf spring suspension moves straight up and down while the crossover draglink moves side to side. Since the draglink end at the axle will move in an arc, it will have some small component of side to side motion as it travels vertically and this side to side motion causes bumpsteer. However, this is generally an acceptable level of bumpsteer for most drivers.

15. ducati-cooter

not to sound like an ass, but I now what bumpsteer is, I just wonderif it would pay as I have the knuckles already and am need ing to get the steering fixed ASAP and if it would pay than I will send the knuckles to ORD!!!!!!

16. Waxer

you only need to send one knuckle. Thats the passenger. It's realy up to you, but from the description of what you do with your rig, crossover really wont be a benefit for the money/time involved.

17. ducati-cooter

waxer thanks for the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANY BODY NEED A SET OF KNUCKLES THAN ???????

18. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Look, I'm not stupid. I don't need to make it a little easier for me.

Think of it this way. If you have a 16" draglink and drop one side 8" it will move the pitman arm adout 1/2". Now extend the draglink to 36" and move one side 8" and it will only move the pitman arm 3/8". If this pitman arm movement is causing the bumpsteer--seems to me that 3/8 is less than 1/2. I do agree that any steering without a panhard bar (that is parrallel and equal lenth to the draglink) will have bumpsteer, but crossover has less.......

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your offroading and got a lot of front flex it will pay major. You can bind up the stock set up so bad you can't steer. I have been in that situation MANY times.
    On the street if the drag link in the stock location is level it should be fairly bump steer free. If the drag link is at a lot of angle it will bump steer. The crossover will have some bumpsteer unless you can get the drag link parrallel to the axle. That's not realy possible. You have to have some angle to clear the frame. The more angle the worse the bump steer. With the length of the drag link the bumpsteer is minimal. However since your changing the angle your more prone to flexing the frame so a steering brace should be mandetory with a crossover and really not a bad idea regardless. It does wonders even on the street.
    I have to side with waxer. If this is a street only truck it's not really worth the expense to crossover. The real gains of the set up will never be realized in that application. Drop the $80 for a raised steering arm to correct the angle of the stock drag link and call it done.

20. Waxer

I didnt mean to make it sound like I was calling you stupid. That was not my intention.

Do not forget that the gear box has a ratio and 3/8" movement on the pitman (for example) would create quite a bit of steering whel movement. Much more than 3/8" of movement. I don't remember the ratio offhand.