Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross-Over Steering??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnowNuts, Apr 8, 2002.

1. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

Hey guys...what is this crosover steering business? I saw pics of a truck around here that had a rod or ? triangulating from the driver side down to the passenger side & guesss that must be what it is. How much is involved ? Is it a safe fix? Tell me more please!!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It is a very popular steering mod for lifted rigs. I don't run a cross over so can't realy explain the benifits or the "When is it time for crossover?" question! So far my setup has been working great and I run 35"SSRs so????

3. SnowNuts

Right now I am taking parts from my old Jimmy including the axles for the 456 posi rear & matching ratio open front . The leafs are of unknown origin but the 38 ground hawgs are a nice fit & that is what I am going to use. I have to admit that the Jimmy is a major MUDSLUT & I will have all the same parts for drive train except now it is a fresh 350 SBC instead of a tired but rockin 402 BB . I hope to behave & use the 72 Blazer as a daily driver but I have never been known to behave when it comes to getting my trucks deep in swamps. The hope is that I can get better road manners than the Jimmy had even tho I used to drive her home with so much mud that it had to affect the ride immensly. One time after swamping all day I drove the 60 miles home to be told that my uncarriage was moving while parked. I looked and a frisbee sized snapping turtle had been plowed out of his happy home at the bottom of the swamp & rode home with me on the highway embedded in the tie rods. Anyhow I was hoping that I might get a better steering & or driving arrangement by doing this Xover job.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha, No kidding?? WOW that would have been the million dollor photo for sure!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Good Luck
    Oh I think the crossover is more popular with the 73 & up guys so may wanna try there.....
    Later

5. SnowNuts

You know the photo would have been awesome & I actually am a freelance photographer...however I photograph women on cars ,trucks,& hope to work snowmobiles into the equation. It's wierd how when I saw a snapping turtle I never thought of my camera...some creatures don't hold the same interest as the human female form!!

6. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

In a nutshel, cross-over steering involves moving the tie rod mounting ears to the top of the steering knuckles. This relocates the tie rod above the leaf springs. By routing the drag link/steering arm to the elevated knuckles, bump steer is reduced/eliminated, and the correct steering linkage geometry can be maintained with large amounts of lift. Also, cross-over steering will get your tie rod out of harms way. It will not be hit by every rock that you encounter. Aftermarket kits are available to do the conversion, but I think starting out with flat top steering knuckles is a must.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

One of the main benifits to the cross over steering is the ability to turn your wheels at full articulation. So basicly when your left tire is rubbing the fender, and the right tire is at full droop, you will be able to turn your steering wheel either direction, and have the wheels point that direction. Where now if you try that the axle in its articulated position not only moves up and down but fore and aft. So your steering wheel will max out and you will be unable to turn the tires in either direction. If that makes it any clearer I hope.

8. SnowNuts

Great Answers guys ..That is obviously the way to go for wheeling ..the only thing that comes to mind is if it is a roadworthy truck steeringwise...I wouldn't want to kill someone ...me included, just because I wanted a sweet wheeling truck. We all have to be aware of the pro's and cons & from what I have seen so far on this forum ...You guys are definately stand-up!

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude, the cross over on the street is SWEET, The "feel" and handling are much better. Espically with big meats!!

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 K10 on Dana 60 fornt and 70 rear axles. It sits on 8" of lift and 44" swampers. I started with a drop pitman arm and dropped drag link. My steering sucked. Now I run ORD crossover. The setup consists of a two wheel drive steering box, they supply the dropped pitman arm, draglink, and steering arm. The draglink steers to the passenger side knuckle instead of the drivers. It is MUCH tighter going down the road and it turns MUCH sharper. Check out HI STEER and ORD for two different setups and info.