Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Jun 17, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

For you guys who have crossover steering.........did your turning radius increase very much when you did this? MIne didnt...any suggestions on that?
    Also is your steering wheel tight? Mines not.....its like it was before i had the crossover? PLease help i have been fighting this for a month with no luck.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

As far as turning radius goes, YES it is tighter, but only tighter than it was with a lift and stock steering. Your factory steering stops are the limiting factor in TOTAL turning radius. Can't turn the wheels any tighter than the stops allow. It now turns equally tight right or left since I did the crossover, which makes you think it turns tighter.

What exactly do you mean it isn't "tight" /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ? Do you have an ORD steering brace? Is your steering box bolts tight? Frame cracks at the steering box are not only common but somewhat expected on a lifted K5/truck and can and will cause the loose steering feel.

3. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

when i turn lock to lock, i do not hit the steering stops. My steering wheel turns like im driving a boat. When i first did this, the steering wheel was tight but now its not. Yes i have a steering brace. Could worn balljoints cause this?