Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cross over steering

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by purple76pearl, Feb 26, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

any one close to west plains know how to set one up, or where i could find parts, i dont ahve a list of what i need but if i had one i coudl get all the parts, but need someone to help me install it, ill pay i just need it bad, its a dana 44 btw /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Might I suggest doing a search in the main forums. There are lots of people doing this right now and there are all kinds of instructions out there on it.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Nevermind the search thing... lemme see if I can help. You will need a 2WD steering box, or just replace the 4WD sector shaft you currently have with a 2WD one (pops right out with 4 bolts), the pitman arm for the 2WD sector shaft, the drag link with new tie rod ends, the steering arm... (thats where its complicated), finally you'll need the tie rod with new ends as well if your old one is questionable. I think the 44 knuckle part is where its sticky... I did a crossover on my 60, which I think is an easier deal than the 44... maybe one of our faithful 3/4 ton guys can come out here and explain that part! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

FYI - there are plenty of places that will sell you a kit! Call up Scott at Rockstomper, and ask for a price. It can't hurt, and you just might be suprised. Here is his phone number: (720) 652 0700. I paid $475 for my ENTIRE kit, $525 shipped to my door.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I'm almost done with mine, I will post part #'s and what I did to cut costs not strenght. I will get pics too.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Assuming you have a 4-6" lift on your K5.

Heres even more of a breakdown:

You will need a 2wd Steering Box from a GM Truck of the same year era.

You need a 4" dropped pitman arm from a 79 F150 4x4 or Superlift SUP-1104

You need a dropped draglink, I have the Rockstomper 2.5" drop draglink for GM application. You will need the Tierod Ends ES2010L (left hand thread) and ES2234R (right hand thread).

You will need a flat top knuckle set found on most '76 and earlier Dana 44's including the old drum brake style. You can usually get the set for around $50-75.

You will need to mail the flat top knuckle for the right side to Steve Frisbie at Missouri Offroad Outfitters and pay $50 to have him drill and tap the knuckle. He can provide studs for this as well.

While you are on the phone with Steve, ask him if he has a Dana44 Crossover Steering arm and spacer.

Might as well replace those ball joints while you are at it.

Thats it in a nutshell. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    Did you replace your sector shaft? If so, how did you dial in the back lash on the shaft?

7. KRAZIE87K5

I did replace the sector shaft in mine... and I did not adjust the backlash per RockStomper's instructions. I do not notice any additional "slop" or play in the box with the junk yard shaft I bought for $15! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

8. backyardbuilt

Thats good to know I never read anything about backlash and changed mine, so I hope I'm like you and don't get any slop for not doing it.

9. KRAZIE87K5

I am only worried about breakin the sector shaft now that I'm running 42's! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm heading to the yard this weekend to pickup a spare for the trails! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

10. KRAZIE87K5

That, and I also will have West Texas Offroad hydro assist in time for the run! That should take some stress of the frame and steering box! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

11. backyardbuilt

I already have a spare and I am working on the hydro steering part got the old box apart (setting it up like Mudzer's box). I am waiting on wakeboard&4x4er to get in touch with his dad (works for Case heavy equipment) to see if he can get us a deal on the cylinder and hoses (free, fingers crossed).

12. KRAZIE87K5

FREE?!!! You suck.... don't come out here EVER again braggin about your free stuff... unless you are getting free stuff for me too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! The reason I asked was, after installing my WTO hydro-assist setup, my K5 wants to lane surf. I have <font color="red"> NOT </font> narrowed it down to the box, but I am looking at all possiblilities. Matt has told me he would pay for shipping the box back to him and he will look it over, but I wanted to rule out everything else first. Matt suggested I loosen the sector shaft 1/4-1/2 turn to "loosen the shaft". He said if the shaft was to tight, it could cause the wandering.
    Like I said, I don't know that the box is the problem. I added the 38's soon after the WTO setup. I also have about 4-6 degrees of camber, so I don't think its that. I have checked all my tie rod ends, and they seem good.
    Could tire pressure have any thing to do with it? I am running about 30lbs in all four.

I just wanted to get another opinion.
    Thanks!
    dp

14. backyardbuilt

Hoping for free, didn't say free, but the warn winch type selenoids he needed one for his boat the boat place said 30$ the place he works at listed them for a 1$ or something ridiculous like that. So pray with me that I get a deal like that. Ryan