Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cross-Section of Body mount sheetmetal on 1st Gen?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK guys, I spent some time studying Ryan_B's truck a few days ago and realized that my body mount bolts are very "bogusly" installed. The P.O. probably couldn't get the original bolts out due to rust, so the "pockets" that the bolts normally fit into, were torn and messed up. (I am specifically referring to the ones in the front footwells here.....but ALL the mounts are weird in SOME way!) The solution the P.O. used was to stack up some REALLY wide washers to span the entire hole and let the bolt head stick way up out of the floor. Unfortunately, this does not inspire confidence when I realize that there is a big "pocket" of air underneath this structural support bolt!!

It looks like the factory used two layers of metal in this area. the first layer (the one that's visible from inside the truck) is formed into the "pocket shape" where it appears to sandwich against a more "flat" piece of metal underneath.....there is also a "box section" under the truck so the whole thing is probably about 3" thick???

Anyway, I am just trying to confirm how these parts originally "looked". I busted out my new welder and stitch welded the area back together to form that "pocket" again.....but I just wanted to confirm that what I've done in connecting those two factory sheetmetal layers is actually how it was "originally".....

It definitely SEEMS strong enough, and I am happy that there isn't a HUGE bolthead sticking up out of the floor like it used to. If I had carpeting, it would lay nice and flat in that area now!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So how 'bout those pic's you took comparing my original untouched body mount bolts... to yours. ? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Greg,

That reinforcing plate is sandwiched and spot-welded between the floor pan and cab support. It has a similar pocket formed in it, which the pocket of the floor pan fits into. I wouldn’t worry much if the floor pan were ripped up around the mounting bolt because the reinforcing plate (and the mount itself) is really doing all the work. By the way, when replacing the floor pans, that pocket is the primary point of reference for getting things lined up. If the bolt heads aren't sticking up any more, it sounds like you’ve made a major improvement!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Doug,

I knew I could count on you to notice this post!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

At first I couldn't tell what was going on with that area....I unbolted the whole thing and knocked the body mount out (along with one factory "square shim" before realizing that what I was seeing from the inside of the truck is CONNECTED to the floor and is not removeable with the body mounts.

Basically I just used my grinder to clean up the gnarly and rusty metal and then zapped a TON of spot welds into that pocket to connect the "upper" and "lower" sheetmetal to that "plate". Then I spent about an hour gently grinding and shaping the pocket back to a "factory shape" and re-welding any remaining little "pits" that didn't fill in completely.

The result is a very nice looking patch.....not "RestoRod" perfect, but I am very pleased with it, and confident enough to start tackling the other body mounts. I really like being able to use the MIG to "fill in" holes in the body that shouldn't be there....using an old aluminum license plate as a "backing material" helps keep the weld where I want it.

Welding is fun! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Sounds liek you done right, Greg. The main reinforcement piece under the double floor layer should have a cross section that looks kind of like a tophat and should be of a pretty thick gauge (14, I think).