Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossed thread on hidden body mount nut (hair pulling time).

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ymatt, Jul 21, 2006.

1. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've chewed up the thread on one of the body mount nuts. :doah:

True to Sod's Law, it's the position #2 nut (#1 on the main body), which is enclosed in the box section under the front floor and is totally inaccessible. :mad:

I thought that the stiffness while tightening the bolt was a combination of paint on the thread and rubbing due to slight body misalignment. Turns out the body WAS correctly centered; the nut had just moved slightly in the box section.

Looking at the bolt, it looks like the ridges on the nut have cut into the ridges on the bolt, parallel all the way down to the end of the thread.

I'm kicking my own ass for not double checking everything and being more careful, but what's done is done, and now I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this and/or can offer advice.

I am dreading having to cut through the floor to get at the nut and bracket that holds it in place, especially as there are multiple spot welded reinforcement layers there (and because of all the time I spent welding the holes in the floor CLOSED!).

As the thread is not completely stripped, is there some way to salvage the nut? I took the bolt out of the other side and did the same to the thread on that, but it tightens up and seems secure. Is there a chance that the thread will be ripped out completely while cornering hard, or will it be OK left like this?

Finally, I later discovered that the replacement bolt that I used from LMC is wrong. It is too long, and the thread is too short, meaning that it reaches the end of the thread before going all the way in. Also, all this trouble could just be due to a badly cut thread on the bolt. Does anyone know where to get O.E. type bolts from?

Thank you!

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

anyway you can get a tap in there to clean up the threads?

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Your going to have to get in there and replace that nut if it is in deed the nut thats stripped. I used my air die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut a little square in the floor board. When I got in there it turns out that the nut had flipped on its side, thats why I was unable to get the bolt to thread.:o The nut isnt like a regular nut like you would picture, it has 4 equal sides and sets in the little "crossmember" you can see under the body. It has 2 tabs that go over the top of it to hold it in there. If that nut is bad then I would just cut the floor open, get a regular nut thats the right size and weld it in there to kepp it from moving. Its not bad to do at all, and since it sounds as though you have a welder it shouldnt be a big deal to get in there and fix it.

Took all of about 45 minutes total to fix, including pulling up the carpet.:waytogo:

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I would suggest an X over the offending nut, because you can bend up the tabs and then bend them down afterwards. If you have access to a tap, I would try to fix the nut that is in there because they have them wiggle around for a reason, I know it was 100% essential play when I was installing my body lift.

5. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late response; as you probably know, the site has been down.

I've never used a tap before (at least, not that kind :laugh:). My dad might have one. Will I have to remove the nut to fix it, or can it be done with everything in place?

How does a tap work exactly? Does it just clean up the thread, or does it cut a bigger I.D., requiring a bigger bolt?

Yeah, the nut movement is essential when jacking up one side of the body. I jacked the body up quite some distance to allow good access while abrasive blasting. Without the play, I probably would have bent the bolts on the other side.

Anyone have a source for those factory type body mount bolts?

P.S. I take it forum searching has become a paid member-only feature? I get a permission error page.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Yep.

7. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

cross threads are better then no threads