Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossing streams in trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Jun 3, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Doesn't a little bit of oil contaminate a lot of water? Don't most trucks have a lot of oil/grease on the underside? So wouldn't that pollute the streams?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yes, which is why the responsible "tread lightly" kind of fourwheeler keeps the drivetrain leak-free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oil isnt really that big a deal assuming its just a drip here and there. Oil gushes into natural bodies of water all the time from oil desposits that just happen to be underwater. Peeps always freak out about oil spills... it doesnt take nature long to fix itself even if u dump gobs of oil. Exxon Valdez was a fawkin HUGE oil spill... u go back there today and you'd never know there was ever a spill.

j

4. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Ah, ok thanks.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Yes, which is why the responsible "tread lightly" kind of fourwheeler keeps the drivetrain leak-free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep that's the way to do it and the reverse of that is if it can leak out it can leak in so being leak free also limits the possiblility of screweing up your drivetrain.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The reality is (my opinion of reality anyways lol) that all those people driving their cars to work 5 days a week do MUCH more environmental damage than a wheeler does in a weekend.

All the urban drainage systems I am aware of dump water off of the street into the nearest lake, river, stream, what have you.

The Seattle Times just published an article about restoring urban streams. Spending millions of dollars planting trees, removing garbage, and so on, to help restore the salmon runs. They found that in some Seattle streams, mortality was over 90% of adult salmon in the stream after a rain, which could be caused by a lot of things, but fertilizer and road "junk" are certainly the main causes.

So trying to guilt us with "silting up" streams and polluting the environment don't wash, although we should all do our best to leave the smallest imprint possible. Just isn't easy with vehicles off-road. You *can* be "green" and still like motorsports.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

38" boggers and a 454 do more damage than Joe Commuter and his honda ever will.

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

joe commuters honda has a small oil leak that drips once every mile. and joe drives to work 30 miles away, 5 days a week. then how many drips does joe leave on the pavement each year? bob 4x4 has a leak free drive train and tears up the sandy river bed on weekends with his 38" boggers and 454. in the winter when the storm comes and everything gets wet, the streets flood and all joes oil goes in the river. when the river floods, all bobs torn up sand and rocks gets flatened out and no one will ever know he was there. the only evidence of any foul play will be the dead fish from joes oil. but will will just blame that on bob. hes in the minority so hes a good scape-goat.

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We took 3 rigs "exploring" a little last weekend, and ended up going across 3 different streams where the road took us. None of the rigs were oil leakers. I rarely take anything of mine that is an oil gusher exploring. Of course, just cause they dont visibly leak doesnt mean that theres no pollution.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I call BS on that as well.
    unless bob is draining his oil/coolant straight onto the ground (which is usually what Joe does when he changes his own fluids at home), in which case I will crush his skull with a hammer.
    run straight water for coolant if possible please

there are naturally occuring bacteria that eat oil.
    in Ft Macmurray the environmental Super was using chipped trees to compost the tarsands residue from the drilling rig I was working on.

of course I live in an area where mother nature is extremely powerful and claims back, near everything a 4wheeler could do in, very short order.
    the desert dwellers may be in a different reality

on the stream crossings, as was pointed out, the oil will likely be making its way to water no mater where you dump it.

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I stay on designated trails. I pack out what I pack in. I don't leak (much...). My club adopted a trail. I consider myself a responsible outdoor enthusiast. All that said, if you are so worried about the fishies and the moss, and all the rest of the items on any good liberal enviro-nazi check list, we should all agree that you should try to keep your electric-hybrid eco-mobile and love beads out from under my truck. Because, in this particular case, you are correct, 38 inch Boggers and a 454 are far more dangerous than commuter Joe's honda...

I respect all opinions, but I get a little irritated when the opinions I hear aren't in tune with mine. I know it's a bad thing, but most of the time, where I come from, being called an a**hole is a thing to cherish. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply Joe Commuter by about 10,000, then 10 times that (10 trips to work and back a week) and you might have the ratio of commutes to wheeling trips. No way in hell one 4 wheeler makes as much of an environmental impact (that is reversible with time don't forget) with his big tires and large engine as do 100,000 commutes, whether you are measuring air pollution, rubber left on the road, or what have you.

I certainly don't see smog up in the mountains when I go up there, regardless of how many people are out driving their rigs, nor do I see ORV areas tested for air quality, except Yellowstone. Joe commuter likes to think that hes not harming the environment, and loves to blame everyone else, but it's his 100 miles a week (multiplied by the millions of others doing the same thing) that are doing the most damage. It's real easy to be a hypocrite.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

open mouth, insert foot... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

We need a "Can of worms" icon.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Jim

15. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much as I hate to say it, I'd agree.

Perhaps it's different out West but here in the East 'off-roaders' do an incredible amount of damage to the environment. And here in FL it doesn't get "... washed away ..." -- at most, just temporarily covered over during the rainy season. Up north, in the hills/mountains it's even worse bc any sort of precip on 'trails' (scars) created by off-roaders yields major erosion.

No "Joe Commuters" on this board! Yeaaaah riiiiight!!!

How exactly did "Bob 4x4" get to that conveniently dry river bed? Levitate!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Deep Water Crossing

1. OK if you have electronic that can be damaged by submersion don not attempt deep water crossings.

2. First check the water area first if you cannot the bottom try walking across (check for depth, current, and what the bedding materials is (mud, sand, rock)).

3. If you think you may be going through water deeper that 12", tape up all gaps in the weather stripping on the bottom of the door frames with duct tape. This will help slow the flow of water into your vehicle do not trust you factory weather stripping.

4. Turn off all electronics especially the air conditioner before entering water of any depth.

5. If the water is deep enough to travel over the front bumber follow these steps to insure a save crossing.

Remove the cooling fan (just for the crossing, if water gets in the fan it can stop the engine or cause it to break and fly off).
    Use a tarp to cover the bumper, grill and hood. This will act like a bull doser parting the water and keeping it from the engine.
    Carry and extra piece of exhaust pipe to attach to the tailpipe, curving up and back away from the vehicle. This prevents water from being rapidly sucked back into the engine incase of a stall or obstruction in the water. If you can do the same with your intake you will increase your chances of a safe crossing. Check all intake connections to ensure no water will enter the intake.

6. Speed is very critical when wading through water. Going too fast will push water up into your engine compartment. Going too slow will cause the loss of momentum and cause you to get stuck where you might have otherwise made it through. When entering deep water, ease into the water until your front bumper begins to push the water out in front of you. Then gently accelerate to create a small bow wake in front of your vehicle. Match your vehicle's speed to the bow wake. You want to follow the wake; keeping your bumper just behind the peak of the wave. This will help to keep water out of the air intake.

OH, I thought this was a how too thread /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I stay on designated trails. I pack out what I pack in. I don't leak (much...). My club adopted a trail. I consider myself a responsible outdoor enthusiast. All that said, if you are so worried about the fishies and the moss, and all the rest of the items on any good liberal enviro-nazi check list, we should all agree that you should try to keep your electric-hybrid eco-mobile and love beads out from under my truck. Because, in this particular case, you are correct, 38 inch Boggers and a 454 are far more dangerous than commuter Joe's honda...

I respect all opinions, but I get a little irritated when the opinions I hear aren't in tune with mine. I know it's a bad thing, but most of the time, where I come from, being called an a**hole is a thing to cherish. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh I just LOVE the electric vehicle deal.....You know what a electric vehicle is.....a remote poluter.

Yeah the vehicle makes no polution till you have to change out 400lb worth of batteries but power plants are one of the largest poluters in most comunities. Atlanta for instants the autos are under 20% of the smog problem but the power company is near 50%. How do they get away with it. They have lobists in washington that push through stuff to shift the blame to auto industry and other industry.