Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossmember and rear trans bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PROFESSORSK5, Dec 29, 2002.

1. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I really don't know how all this happened but today as I was going to a friends house to go off roading, my K5 would not go into revearse or park, so I stopped and looked under my truck and the two bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame didn't have nuts on them. This caused the crossmember to sag and if that wasn't bad enough the two bolts that hold the trans tail shaft to the crossmember were also missing. If this is a common thing, please let me know what I can do to fix this, or set up some time table to check these bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

it sounds like the tranny's been out and somebody left the bolts loose? I know that the bolts on the tranny mount will come loose if no loc-tite is used. they will vibrate loose. never seen crossmember bolts come out though!

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

that happened to me too a while ago on my 78 k20 no explanation.. the tcase was being held up by the rear driveshaft and the support from tranny/motor.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used to break the stupid crossmember bolts on the passenger side. I ended up putting in Grade 8 bolts to fix it. I even considered putting that side of the crossmember up into the frame.