Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossmember for truck originally equipt with a BBC???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

By chance does anyone have a pic of this animal?
    According to ORD a truck that is originally equipt with a BBC has a different front engine crossmember/engine mounts.
    I have a 73+ crossmember to swap into my 72 for my BBC build up but I am not sure wich one I have? ORD's motor mounts won't work with orginally equipt BBC trucks.
    Pics please /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the +73 crossmember will even bolt into your 72? I thought that the frames, as well as the sheetmetal, changed in 1973.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I just have to drill a hole or two...I have an artical I need to get posted out to the net so I can show you what I am doing....

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

here:
    [​IMG]

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I thought the crossmember stayed the same, just the perch (3 bolt for small block vs. 4 bolt for big block) changed. Again I have NEVER verified this, but was under that impression.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The difference in the SBC and BBC are the steel mounts at the frame rails, not the crossmember. The rubber motor mounts and steel mounts are a different bolt pattern than the other.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya that is what I am trying to find out. Here is a quote from ORD's web site:
    "They will not fit an original big-block truck, the frame bolt pattern is a little different."

I want to run his engine mounts but this comment got me thinking that I really don't know what crossmember I have or if his mounts will work with it?

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Steel Mounts? What do thease look like. Are you refering to the side brakets with holes? Like the one in that article?

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My BBC slipped right into my 73+ SBC mounts.

I have another later (73+) set (clamshells on the engine), if your interested.

I am not familiar with ORD's setup.

I have also put a BBC in an early SBC frame before. But I had the BBC metal mounts on the BBC block already. Were you not able to find the early BBC block mounts?

Why not just use a set of Poly 73+ motor mounts, your 73+ crossmember, and the 73+ block metal clamshells?

BTW: My BBC is in. I still need to put on the accessories though.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't have a clue what to use or how to identify what I already have. I think I will take a pic of my free crossmember & brackets. I have a total of 5 pieces. They are all black powder coated so would be nice to useum.
    I will try to remember to snap a pic of them tonight.
    Do you have any pics of what you are using? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Look at that artical I posted, see the second pic down on the left. I have that crossmember and thoes brackets Plus two C shaped metal pieces not in the artical at all?

12. thatK30guy

You see those two steel mounts, the angled ones where the rubber clam shell mounts to, those are different hole patterns on the SBC and BBC.

The difference between the two are the very bottom hole on each mounts. They are offset slightly.

Its no big deal really. If you have an original SBC mounts, use the same rubber clam shell mounts, or the ORD urethane mounts, and they will still bolt on the BBC easily.

But if you have an original BBC truck, the SBC clam shell mounts will not fit these BBC mounts. The bottom hole on both are different.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm tired of typing this! This is too [darn] hard to explain! I need pictures to show what I'm talking about! I just sold a V30 frame with BBC mounts and should have taken pics of it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

If you have access to a GM service manual, look in there for pictures as I've got a manual and it clearly shows the difference between the two mounts. And no, I don't have a scanner hooked up either. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahah Thanks man!
    I will take some pics of what I have.
    So this clam shell part is metal shaped in a C right? I have thoes too.
    I think when I take a pic I will mesure the holes too.
    Basically they look the same but the holes are different..right? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Basically they look the same but the holes are different..right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. To make it easier, go to your nearest Pep Girls and ask to look at the difference between the two rubber mounts. Then take into consideration the steel mount on the frame has the holes in different location as per the rubber mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup good Idea!
    I'm thinking I may have the BBC version only cuz I have two more holes in that mounting plate next to the frame compared to the one in the artical I posted. Wich would be fine, just need the right engine mounts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. thatK30guy

Steve, I got my service manual out and found the pictures of the mounts.

Very simple:

SBC, when you look at the steel frame mount, the holes in both the mount and the rubber clam shell will be using 3 bolts, in an upside down "L" configuration. The top two holes and one hole on the bottom, which is direct in line with one of the top holes at 90 degrees.

The BBC mounts, both steel and rubber clam shell, use the top two holes and one hole on the bottom, but CENTERED between the top two, in a "V" configuration.

If you have the steel mounts that look like the upside down "L", then you can use the ORD urethane mounts easily.
    But if you have the "V" mounts, you can simply swap those out for a truck originally equipped with a SBC.

Hope that helps a little better. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dude You ROCK!
    So look at that article again the last pick on the bottom left looks like an upside down L so that would be the SBC animal right??? SO if I gots me V then I now know!!
    ShooeeeeWeeee I feel Edjumacated /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifscary thought heheheheh
    Thanks again for taking the time to look at your shop manual for my dumb ass /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

18. thatK30guy

I saw the pics and I also have that article in the magazine here at home, too. Those pics definitely show SBC mounts. The BBC does not look close to like those at all.

Now get on the phone and call Stephen to order up some new mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha You are right I have the SBC style! I can't find my stupid camera. I think it is in the wife's truck...with the wife /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Anyway Thanks a ton for helping me clear this one up! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. thatK30guy

Glad to help in any way. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif