Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossmember help (NOW WITH PICS)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms0945, Feb 26, 2002.

1. jms0945

jms0945 Registered Member

Does anyone have a picture of their transmission crossmember? I have a 1988 K-5 that the guy who had it before me put a TH400 in it and for some odd reason changed the crossmember. I have NO IDEA where this crossmember came from or what it came out of. I do know that it will not let me put a front drive shaft in it bacause the crossmember goes straight across infront of the transfer case. anyone else had this problem?

I NOW HAVE PICS SHOWING HOW MY CROSSMEMBER IS
    SO PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
    THANKS
    MIKEMIKE

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: crossmember help

Are you saying that the bolts are hard to get too or that the crossmember actually sticks up between the frame rails? My NP205 front driveshaft is a BEAR to remove with the flat crossmember, but it is possible. Just have to turn the wrench 1/4 turn at a time. : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. jms0945

Yea the member starts from the drivers side going straight across and then once it gets to the other side of the tranny it curves up to where you cannot put the front drive shaft in and it work.

4. dyeager535

I recall that when I was trying to find the right crossmember for my SM465 install, I ran across a few different styles. Low hanging on the drivers side but high on the passenger, ones with "humps" on both sides, and then the flat ones, which I ended up with. I knew I didn't want one of the "humped" ones, so I didn't pay attention to the application, sorry.

I'm not sure if there were any "2WD only" crossmembers, but if you have a wrecking yard near you, perhaps go poking around and see what they have. Certainly makes sense to me that if GM was going to use at least 3 crossmembers on the same vehicle the same vintage, there could be 2WD only versions. Besides, you never know WHAT a previous owner put in there.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

5. jms0945

Yea im figuring out how much the guy that had my truck before me like to rig stuff up, besides the fact that he told me he rebuild the motor then when i went to rebuild it i found that it had the same pistons, rods, crank ect... in it the same day it came out of the factory, oh well i know its done right now, im going to be putting some pics of it on here in a few min, so if you would look at them and let me know what you think.
    Thanks

6. jms0945

I uploaded my pics of my truck last night and i have a few of the tranny xmember and t-few case

7. jms0945

Re: crossmember help (NOW WITH PICS) *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by jms0945

8. jms0945

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jms0945>clicky</a>

try'n to keep the greasy side down

10. dyeager535

Well that looks just like the crossmember on my truck, except that yours has the crossmember lowered with the spacers. (obviously)

However, that looks to me like its probably the wrong crossmember/adapter. You need a taller adapter, like what was used on the 205 (for instance) trucks, OR you need a crossmember that is arched UP in the middle. They are pretty common, I seriously suggest that any 4wd '81-up Chev you see anywhere (parking lots, etc) you crawl underneath and find one like I'm talking about.

Like I said before there are at least 3 different "styles" and of those styles, I'm almost certain the "hump on both sides" x-member is what you need, if not, it would likely be the "hump on one side" that you need.

Looking at www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html

11. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I think the crossmember is on backwards. there should be a round divet on it were you put the driveshaft so it doesn't hit. Trust me it will fit in backwards I done it once....didn't realize until the shaft wouldn't go in. see if that divet is one the back drivers side and the bottom lip should be missing too.

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

The crossmember in the pic looks like the "older" style crossmembers, pre 84' or 83'. It looks like you have either the 208 or the 241 Xcase there, so you'll need the "newer" style crossmember, which will have a huge dip in it where the front dshaft goes through. I don't have any pics though. If you put in a 203 or 205, then you can keep that crossmember and it will work. But won't with the 208 or 241, unless you modify the crossmember some.
    I'm sure if you search the bone yards for an 85' to 91' K5 crossmember, you can put that in....what I'm confused about is which tranny mount did he use, the old style (2) or the new style (1). Looks like two though.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

13. jms0945

im not sure what mount he used
    ive had the truck about 6 months and its been down for about 3 and while it was down (rebuilding motor) somthing happened to the mount, that is a TH-400 tranny and so far i have not been able to find a mount that fits.
    it is a NP208 in it also.

community.webshots.com/user/jms0945

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

From looking at all the pics, the adaptor and crossmember are ok, even though they were swapped in, they are the correct pieces.

The thing I am looking at that you need is the rubber mounts for which the adaptor sits on to ride the crossmember. Either get the rubber or poly mounts.
    Those metal saddles are sitting right on the crossmember. If the rubber was still good, they would not be sitting on the crossmember.
    I also noticed the side shot pic of the t-case shows how low it hangs below the crossmember. That is another proof you need the new poly mounts. It hangs too far down that not even a skid plate would bolt up to the crossmember because it would allow the t-case to sit on the skid plate then.

Get some new poly mounts and call it finished. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>