Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossmember help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blaz, Oct 5, 2004.

1. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

I have 84 k5. just changed lifts I went from a springshop made 2.5 that was suposed to be a 4in. to a 6in. superlift. the problem is front driveshaft is hitting the crossmember. I know a few ways to fix it but would like some opinions on wich is the best. I can lower the crossmember with spacers between the frame and tcase. I can lower the crossmember and the tcase or I can notch the crossmember and weld a flat pice of plate across the bottom for strength.any help would be appreciated. oh yah one more my crossmember already has spacers between it and the frame is this stock there where on it when I got it there about 3/4 to 1in. long. thanks again.

2. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

think I"m going to notch it any opinions?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i owuld trim it, as long as isnt a ton of metal, what would be best is to notch it real good and weld a brace underside of it at the edge, if it really evne will need it, in which i highly doubt,

you should see how much metal i remove from 2wd auto trans X members when i put on headers and duals, i chop a good 1/3 of the metal out of the ends of them and they hold up more than plenty well

good luck

4. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

it will be cuting a rib out a little wider than the cv on my driveshaft about 1 to 1.5 deep plate is to mainly close up hole after cut. what do you think.