Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossmember help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stan1688, Nov 26, 2006.

1. stan1688

stan1688 1/2 ton status

Im going to start upgrading my 91 K5 that I reciently purchased. One of the things that I have noticed that will need to be fixed or modified, is the transfer case crossmember. There is about a 1/4 inch gap between the front drive shaft and the crossmember. It looks to me that the drive shaft would hit the crossmember if the suspension limited out. I know I could put spacers between the crossmember and frame, but I dont want to lose any ground clearence. It has a 4 inch lift on it right now, and I plan to keep it around the same height. Has anybody had this same problem? If so, what did you guys do or would you recomend. Should I "loop or tunnel" my stock crossmember (like this), [​IMG]
    or should I custom make or have a custom crossmember made? Anybody have pictures of what they did? Thanks for any imput.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I had 6" front springs and a stock crossmember and I didn't have any clearance issues. You need to modify the corssmember like in the above picture if you run double tcases.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you can wait a few days I can post pics of how I clearanced mine. I run an 8" lift and the driveshaft would rub on hill climbs or when the passenger side would droop all the way down.

right under where the driveshft runs I cut and welded in a cut down section of pipe. I cut a 6" pipe length wise. then cut out the crossmember to fit it. It does not hang any lower, and I only cut out the part that is humped up. not the flats on the front and back. You gain over an inch of clearance between the shaft and the crossmember.

4. stan1688

stan1688 1/2 ton status

I think I understand what you did. Ill have to wait and see from your pics. Thanks for the input.