Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossmember hitting oilpan......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok10, Nov 19, 2004.

1. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Pictured below is the oil pan on my truck and the crossmember that ties into the frame and motor mounts. the crossmember was rubbing on the pan before, just enough to scratch the paint off, but now that i have installed a one piece gasket thats about an 1/8in thicker, the crossmember wont easily go back under the pan. I cannot remove the crossmember, so if i have to modify it, it would have cramped in the truck. Either that, or i have to get taller motor mounts, or dent the pan for clearance. What do you guys think? I could just pound the bitch in there and hope for the best, which is what I almost did just now, but i figured i'd ask for opinions first. its a 73 K10.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sure your motor mounts aren't shot? Seems like the motore is moving around and contacting it. Can't think of it being so close that 1/8th of an inch would make it rub but I've never done it so /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

truthfully i think its the wrong crossmember or something stupid like that, because the pan is correct and ive never seen one hitting before. The mounts may very well be shot as well. it rubbed before, and now its a little too tight for me to not worry about it getting through the pan eventually.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The steel plates that bolt to the block are different height on passenger cars VS trucks--the 4wd trucks use the ones that have the thru bolt hole 1 inch lower to raise the motor up higher--some 2wd use the car style ones that have the hole closer to the block to make it sit lower.You might have the "short" pads on your motor if its been swapped in,thats about all I can think of.You might be able to "shim" the motor mounts where they bolt to the crossmember to gain some height--I found a shim on the 86 305 van motor I put in my truck,but there was only one on the drivers side.Some 4x4' used plates under the steel pads that bolt to the block for the tranny/transfer case support rods--if yours had them and were removed,it would lower the engine the thickness of that plate-about 3/16-1/4 inch... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

Looks like the brackets that bolt on the block are small block motor mount brackets on a big block. JB

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that the crossmember isn't cracked where it is bolted to the motor mount "towers".

My dads '74 had the balancer rubbing on the x-member from cracked x-member, and my '81 frame was also cracked in the same area, but not so bad that the balancer or pain hit the x-member.

Later on (mid 80's I guess) the x-member was redesigned to strengthen it overall, and is what I used to solve my problem.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

motor mounts are toasted or incorrect

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I vote for the motor mounts being bad or incorrect.