Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover/2WD Steering Box Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read in a post a while ago (that I can no longer find) that instead of swapping in a whole 2WD steering box when you go crossover, you can just swap in the 2WD sector shaft.

#1. Is this true? The 4wd box on my truck now is in good shape so I'd kinda like to keep it. I've had some badly done rebuilds in the past, I'd rather not go that route.

#2. If so, where can I get just a sector shaft? GM won't sell me one. Would NAPA or Advance or someone? 2WD fullsizes are rare around here, and near impossible to find with any parts left on them in a junk yard.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes you can just install a 2wd sector shaft into your 4x4 box. You have to find the shaft in the junkyard or from someone on here or similar. Nobody that I am aware of sells just the sector shafts new.

Make sure you get the lockwasher and nut with the sector shaft so you don't have to hunt those down either.

Harley

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

eyup that is what I did...
    you take the pitman arm off your truck.. take the 4 bolts out of the top and tap that baby out.. get ready with a bucket as all the fluid pours out.....
    but then same with the 2wd shaft to get it out and put it in..... they are the same as the part of the shaft that goes into the box..the difference is the splines and the way the pitman arm goes on.... on my 4wd I had the bolt that went through the pitman arm and the shaft had the bevel in it for the bolt... on the 2wd it takes a 1"+ nut on the bottom of the shaft....

also want an upgrade to the nut on the 2wd box?
    I failed inspection as my pitman arm nut wasnt tight enough... so when I got home I tried tightening it and the nut was stripped... so I found a d60 front yoke nut (as I used a new one when I put my new gears in) and it is the same thread size and double the thickness.... as that means more thread coverage and more leverage!!!!!!

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, next question, anybody have a 2wd shaft? :D Finding one around here is highly unlikely. You don't know until you look but the closest junk yard is 1/2 hour, and the closest good junk yard is a long ways.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Sometimes for what you'd pay for a box to get the sector shaft form, you can get a good used 2wd box and just bolt it up, thats what I am doin. post up in the wanted section..