Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover affected by lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

how is crossover steering affected by lift height? sounds like you need a minimum lift 4"? for crossover. given that what happens to handling-steering control when increasing lift to 6". using the same size tire say a 35". will everthing be the same? i know the actual spring lift will increase roll and etc. also what would change in the crossover setup just the draglink length or can that be adjusted with tie rod ends. also what would be the optimum lift with crossover if tire clearance wasn't an issue i know articulation is also an issue. this would be for a rig that would be both street and trail driven. thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Doesn't seem like going from 4" to 6" will make much difference in the draglink length. Take a measurement of the vertical spacing between the steering arm and the springplate below it, measure the length of the existing draglink and also measure the distance from the DS springplate to the steering arm on the passenger side.

Throw a little Pythagorean theorem at it by increasing that first dimension (springplate to steering arm to simulate the 6" lift) and recalculate what the dragling length would end up being.

My guess is that given the lengths involved, and a fairly minor change to the lift height, the difference is probably a number less than 1".... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I beleive I was told a while back the ORD draglink length increases 1" when going from 4" to 6" lift....

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I beleive I was told a while back the ORD draglink length increases 1" when going from 4" to 6" lift....

[/ QUOTE ]
    that could be made up in TRE adjustment

5. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i will give that a shot thanks! any thoughts or experience on handling changes on crossover lift? when i went from a 4" lift to 7" spring with a standard draglink steering setup my truck was literally all over the road! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif