Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover and high steer with rear springs up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Sep 17, 2004.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I already have crossover and high steer (in front of the axle) and the axle is moved about 1.5" forward with about 8.5" of suspenion lift. I read that you cannot do the rears up front with crossover and high steer because it moves the axle forward and the draglink hits the tie rod, right?

But where does it hit at, because if it hits near the pitman arm I figure that since I am running more lift than just with stock rears up front I might be alright. Because right now everything clears for me and I don't see another half inch changing that much.

I was planning on running either BDS or tuff Country rear lift springs up front, probably 6" springs and removing a leaf or two to make the eye to eye length longer to give a better shackle angle. Right now I have problems with my draglink hitting my passenger spring, due to the zero rates, so if I put rears up front I could take out my zero rate and keep my axle moved forward and help my spring to draglink clearance.

Does anybody see any problems with my plan, especially the draglink and high steer clearance issue?

Thanks

Trey

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most people who swap 52" springs up front have to convert there high steer back to low steer or convert to behind the axle highsteer setups.

Harley

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but I am trying to figure out why they have to do it. I think that I might be because their dragink on the pitman arm side hits the high steer rod. And since I will be going with about 4" more lift I will have about 4" clearance than most people, so I am thinking that I might not hit.

Trey

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

i can't say for certain because even though i already run 52''s up front with x-over/histeer the tierod is rear mounted. but... i'm pretty sure that the reasoning is just like you said, when the axle is moved forward it puts the tierod directly under the pitman arm so if your setup will compress far enough (which it probably still will) the pitman arm will get squashed against the tierod binding up your steering.

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure you have to run x-over steering because it moves the axle forward 2", and the stock steering setup can't work right. I dont know if you will run into trouble with histeer tho, someone else can tell you that.

Later

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You have to run crossover with the 52's up front. And you CAN run histeer if you use arms that locate the tie rod behind the king pins. Clicky...

7. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks fellas

Trey