Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover and hydroboost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I have done some searching, but didn't really find quite what I was looking for...

Does anything different need to be done when switching to crossover when you have hydroboost or just follow the same steps?

thanks!

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Nope, just be sure that you have the hydroboost p/s pump cause it can get hard to turn when you do it quick.

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

so i'm assuming its the same thing for the other direction. I have cross steer and will be converting to hydraboost.

I have the hydra but i still need to grab a ps pump to match.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the cross over doesnt use more fluid, but in my opinion you can turn it fast enough that if you had a regular p/s pump, you would run out of pressure if you happened to brake at the same time.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Crossover steering and hydro*boost* brakes are unrelated.

Crossover steering is just a different mechanical linkage from the left side to the right.

Hydroboost brakes use the pressure from the power steering pump instead of vacuum for power, but that's all hydraulic lines and plumbing, unrelated to the above.

Now, *hydryaulic assisted* steering would tie into the crossover steering, i.e. you'd want crossover to have a place to attach the ram. Somehow I think hydro steering on push-pull would not work so well :haha:

Anyway, just to be real clear on hydro-boost brakes versus hydraulic assisted steering, as both are referred to as "hydro" for short :)

-- A