Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover and Swaybar

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 91GMCSuburban, Nov 28, 2005.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Is there no option to do a crossover steering setup and still keep a swaybar?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

There is no off the shelf crossover/sway control setup. You can however contact Offroad Unlimited as they run a sway bar with crossover on their SFA conversions. Before I get flamed I am not promoting ORU they are just the only ones I have seen do it. They also want a grip of cash for anything associated with them. Anyhow, I see no reason why you can make your own with some Heim joints a torsion style/nascar style sway bar with arms and some links to connect the swaybar to the axle.

Ira

3. 91GMCSuburban

I will look into it further. BTW, what is your avatar?

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is a pic of the bow of the USS San Francisco after her collision.

Ira

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I love ORD's crossover steering on my burb.

It's one of my most valuable mods.

Threw away the sway bar years ago. (on an 8" lift).

6. 91GMCSuburban

How's the DD handling?

7. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

I have ORD crossover on my d60/burb, bilstien 5150's. The truck drives pretty dang good on pavement and I am not missing the swaybar.

If you have a truck that you plan on racing at high speeds, or want the best turning, then perhaps an alternative swaybar method (there are some of those bolt in sway bars that the rock crawl guys run) might work.

8. 91GMCSuburban

no high speed, but will drive to wheeling locations (10-200 mi). With only 4" lift, I'm thinking crossover is not as important. I am thinking if I go 6" to 8", then for sure. Maybe if ORD had a sale on X-over for 10 bolt during Christmas time, might consider even more.

9. boxxerace

Granted Suburbans are Suburbans, but good steering is always worth it just under good brakes and tires.

Crossover steering is a BIG improvement over the stock from my experience. If you plan on keeping your truck or at least a K truck then its well worth it.

10. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

I've cut up the fenders enough to stuff 35's under my K5 on stock suspension, but now the tire contacts the link between pitman arm and drag link on a hard right turn. So, I was planning to go with crossover steering eventually anyway, but this stepped up the time table. Does anyone know if a crossover setup (like ORD's or the home built version featured in the tech section of CK5) will work at stock height? I'm wondering if there's enough room above the springs for the drag link to go across to the right side wheel...?

11. boxxerace

I believe there is enough room on a stocker for the draglink. Course, use the stock pitman arm. The draglink could be rotated a ways back to it would not hit the spring perches. BUT, now that I think about the stock location of the bottom out bumper, I might be wrong.

Clearance of the oil pan might be an issue with a straight crossover link.

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check out our new crossmember, it might be just what you need to run crossover with no lift. I think you might have problems with the spring hitting the pitman arm though. A really flat pitman would help that.

13. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

Thank you guys for the replies... I love this forum :)

So, in your opinion, even though I've made room for 35's on a stocker and don't have money (or axle strength/gears!) to go bigger on tires, maybe I'd be better off putting on a mild lift? The front springs are shot anyway... so maybe some TC 4" ezrides (I like soft and flexy) in the front and a shackle flip in the back...? Then do the crossover and stick with the 35's until I can upgade the axles/gears?

On a related note, that would also help the approach/departure/breakover angle to do a mild lift... Sounding more and more appealing :)

Stephen, I'll take a look at your new crossmember...you have so much cool stuff!!!

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might check out the 3" on our 'burb, it works really well with just a drop pitman arm, no crossover. That may suit you. Otherwise the 4" and crossover works just fine.