Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover arm and spacer

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by prjt_blzr, Aug 6, 2003.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    I ordered my crossover link and rod ends from you today. I did some more checking on the truck and it looks like the steering arm will need a 3/4" spacer to clear the spring pack and zero rate. I checked with Sky manufacturing and they can supply the 1/2" studs for the tapered nuts to properly attach the steering arm. Would it make sense to add two 7/16" bolts or studs and tapered nuts to secure the steering arm to the spacer as well? The bolts would be centered between the front two studs and then the rear two studs. It seems like this would prevent the arm and spacer from trying to move in relation to each other and prevent broken studs.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Bolting the two together won't hurt a bit, you could counter sink the heads and run the screws up from the bottom, or run them from the top. The other thing you might consider is just running a bevel on the edges and welding them together. It wouldn't take more than a couple inches of weld to hold them if you were inclined to go that route. No matter what it's a good idea to hold them together somehow, it eliminates one thing to go wrong.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the stating the obvious!! I'll just weld the two together and not worry about it.
    Mike