Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover done...Issues. Of course. Looooong....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Finally went and picked up a 2wd box today. Got every thing bolted on, and realized that I needed to notch the engine crossmember with the plasma cutter to clear my disgustingly over done Jethro-Built drag link. Thats not a problem but the truck was about 20 feet from the furthest point my plasma cutter would reach. All I had to do was get in start it up and drive it forward 20 feet. Unfortuneatley, I forgot that I had the the power steering lines discconected, so when I started the motor, it blew all the fluid out all over the place. That sucked, but I figured I'd just fill it back up and all would be well. So I got the crossmember notched, everything bolted up and connected. Bled all the air out of the system and went for a test drive. Steering was way tighter and more responsive, thats good of course. But it was whining a bit so I decided to try to bleed it some more. While doing this, the steering got almost impossible to to turn lock to lock. It would turn a little bit either way, but not lock to lock. I could look at the power steering pump pully and see it slowing down and struggling when I put pressure on the steering wheel. Did I cook the pump when I blew the fluid out all over the place? I don't really know anything about the pump, as it was on the motor when I got it. It worked fine before blowing all the fluid out though. Should I get another one or are there other things to check? Also, is the steering box and lines supposed to get hot? If not, what cause this and how do I fix it? And can someone explain to me the proper method for adjusting the backlash in the steering box with the little set screw? What can happen if the this setting is wrong? How would I know?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

power steering fluid gets hot. Its under pressure and being pushed around, the friction of it all creates heat. If anything adding a cooler(same style as an auto trans cooler) would be a good idea. My 89 3/4 burb came with a stock cooler(just a single loop of tube under the radiator support). The little dipstick should have a hot and cold mark.

3. Zeus33rd

Thanks dude. :)

Anyone else? Pleeease???:confused:

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You've got air in the system and thats why its hot and hard to turn. The fluid has lots of little bubbles in it I'm sure when you check it? Just blead the system and you will be fine.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Could the pulley have oil on it? Maybe the belt is the same? Just a thought. Sometimes when the belt gets coated, its tough to get it clean

John

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Are you saying it is hard to turn, or it just won't go to the stops. With my crossover, I couldn't get full turning, too much movement in the springs and such when it was on the ground. I could hit the stops with the wheels in the air. Adding the hydro assist fixed that.

7. Zeus33rd

Right after I got everything bolted on and the system bled, I went for a 2-3 mile test drive. Interesting drive with no shocks, soft 52" springs and 42's. :blush:Bled the system till the fluid wasn't frothy anymore. It worked fine on the test drive, went lock to lock fine. Was a little harder to turn than it was with the conventional steering and the pump was whining abit though. I figured the whining meant that it needed bled some more, so I jacked it up and proceeded to go lock to lock. It went lock to lock maybe 2 times before it wouldn't go much past center. Pump wasn't straining at all. Like there was no pressure to the box. I figured I had wasted the pump from running it dry and the test drive just did it in the rest of the way. I didn't have much faith in the pump anyways...the pulley wobbles and it's mounted with a cobbled together bracket from a previous owner. Just looks hammered.

I got the exact same thing after my test drive when it wouldn`t go to the stops. Was kinda scary how much the springs moved. I have a hard time believing that hydro assist is required with crossover. I'd rather have the system working the way it should before going with assist. Adding assist now would, in my opinion, just be a bandaid. The old pump needs to be replaced anyways so that when the time comes for assist, the pump isn't an issue.

Aslo, whast the correct way to adjust the steering box? I messed around with it a bit...didn't seem to make much of a difference with what I did. :confused:

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Lemme get this straight,

You drove it?

Drove it drove it??

Under its own power?

You werent behind it in a tractor pushin it and your Grandma behind the wheel for a couple miles??

Dude,sweet :D :haha:

9. Zeus33rd

Frizzlefry you suck. lol! It's been moving around under it's own power for 6 months or so now. So get off my back dammit! ;) My grandma still helps me out with it sometime when I need an extra hand. Last week I was trying to mock things up to get a measurement for the draglink. I needed someone to hold the pitman arm with the dre on there so I could take a measurement. It was pouring rain and noone was around but my grandma. So she put on her rain coat and gloves, came out and hugged the 42 to hold the thing up for me. My grandma rocks!:D

Anyways, back on topic...

It was the pump. I put an old pump I had on there and it solved the problem. Works perfectly now. And heres a few updated pictures just for $hits and giggles-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :grin: