Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover done???Whiening box---First impressions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Aug 12, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Just finished the crossover---endend up just reaming out the ford van pitman arm. everything works great---turning is AWESOME!!even w/ the hubs locked.---the only thing is the box is a little tighter (mabye just the box) but the 4wd box i could turn w/ my little finger. am i just paranoid? also it seems wen i run it (the box) for a little while or come into a hard turn situation it starts to whine A LOT---is is just hot or is there something plugging the lines up or what ---what can i do to make it stop whining?---all i need to do is "modify" the crossmember and im good to go---is there anyhting wlse i should look in to?

Thanks

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

probably just air in lines it will work its way out in time

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, sounds like air in the lines.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

thanks guys---i guess ill have to drive it a little more hehe /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

drive it or put it up on jackstands and turn it back and forth like 40 times , this is what AGR put in their directions for a new box . ... ?

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Don't drive it with the noisy steering! I was told by many people that this can cause the pump to fail when I did the same thing. Lift up the front and cycle the steering, fill the pump reservoir, wait for the bubbles to go down a bit and repeat until there is no noise. But if it only happens under difficult steering situations, then I don't know. I would do the above just to make sure.

Also, mine is a little stiffer, same with a few people I talked to about it. It seems to be normal.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Are you using an AGR box, 2wd box with the ford pitman or your 4wd box with the 2wd shaft and the ford pitman? I'm looking to go crossover here in the next few weeks with the latter of the two above. Did you use the avalanche arms for high steer as your crossover mount to the axle?

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I know you weren't asking me, but, if your like me, more info is better. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I've got my 4WD box (which was brand new GM when I bought the K30) with a 2WD shaft installed by Matt at WestTexas OffRoad when he tapped for hydro. I'm using the Ford Van pitman reamed out for DLEs and Avanlanche arms. Built my own "rock rods". Drag link is 1.5" x .250 wall and tie rod is 1.75 x .375 wall. I have no squalling and no problem turning with one finger, even when the front hubs are locked, diff is locked, and 42” TSLs are setting still in a pile of rocks. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly my aproach, I must have been reading your mind! Thanks for the info... are you running an anti sway bar or does this require removal to install?

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I ditched the sway bar long before the mods. However, I don't see how it could be used after...

11. SCOOBYDANNN

here is my setup--2wd steering box (make sure to get the year of your truck because the lines may be different) ford van pitman arm reamed out for 1 ton TRE,(if you have the steering box frame repair the nut comes real close depending on the weld job---i had to grind a little so it wouldnt hit. no swaybar---and i bought the draglink and crossover arm from a fellow CK5er and i believe they are Parts Mike if i remember correctly.

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Hey Danny, you might want to put a cooler on your low pressure return line going to your pump. After I did crossover, I went on one four wheelin trip and my pump was toast. I put a small tranny cooler on the new pump and ran synthetic fluid and now there's no more whining or overheating.

Will

13. SCOOBYDANNN

I was thinking about the cooler thing----what kind of cooler do I get?--is the one specifically get for power steering or can i do it cheaper?

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Get a small car tranny cooler - I think the one I got was a Hayden, it works great. And it was not too pricey if I recall (been a while). Just like you, I also had the whining noises, and like has been said, it must have been air in the lines because it went away after driving a while. I noticed that the steering effort was greater after switching to the 2WD box as well, glad I'm not the only one (thought I was nuts!). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I also just did the West Texas Off Road hydro assist setup, and the steering effort is back to one finger. The truck steers a little oddly, but nothing that can't be gotten used to. It tends to wander in long turns and has a tendency to kind of sway back and forth if you make small steering inputs - anyone else have this issue? It's hard to describe, but the steering wheel stays motionless while the frontend kind of "shimmys" back and forth a few times. It's weird, but not dangerous or anything.

Also, I just got rid of the death wobble after replacing my frame shackle bushings. I had installed the hydro setup, took it for a drive, and damn, I still had the death wobble, although it had been reduced to more like a "mini death wobble" condition. My frame bushings were totally falling apart (sent them back to Steve Watson again), so I replaced them from my bag of extras (I'm having issues with the Daystar bushings) and the wobble is all gone. Just thought I'd share that again...

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

does your rad have auto tranny cooler in it?

16. SCOOBYDANNN

i have the 465---would the A/C thingamabob work---probably not /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when I bought a 4core rad it came with auto tanks
    if the line size is big enough the ac rad would be overkill, I would do it
    any tranny cooler would work

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have an interesting image you might be interested in regarding the AC idea.
    you want it emailed?

19. SCOOBYDANNN

20. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

mj - if you email it to me @ ddycus@netwriteconsulting.net I would be happy to post it on my file server, so everyone could see it (no pop-ups, or any other junk! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

I never even thought to see if my PS pump was hot after the cross over... I do have available auto lines in my 4 core rad. right now... maybe use that to cool the PS system? Or would I be transferring engine heat to the system too? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Let me know what you think on that... if nothing else, sounds like a fun mod for a boring afternoon... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan