Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover draglink question.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Derf00, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just finished the install on my crossover steering for my 60. When I started to hook-up my draglink, I made sure the steering arm was centered on the steering box and the steering wheel was straight. With the rod ends screwed all the way in, and the jamb nuts up tight against the ends, the rod was still about 1" to long. I went ahead and turned the steering wheel until it would hook-up.

Have I installed something wrong? is the link to long, or are the jamb nuts to big. The jamb nuts are almost 1/2" thick, it looks like smaller nuts might help, but it doesn't leave much room for adjustment.

Any suggestions??

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I received mine it was too long by about 1/4" if I wanted the wheel straight. But to gain some adjustment I shortened mine about 1" total so I had about 3/8" of thread showing on each rod end. I figured with mine, since it's a not so common application, it was kind of tough to calculate the exact length since the truck was many states away. I'm still very happy with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am getting ready to install a D60 with the crossover steering as well. Do you know if the drag link is going to interfere with the engine crossmember? The drag link I got from ORD is a 4" drop link. Also, I have a 6" lift and am wondering if there is a 6" drop link or does the 4" link work with the 6" lift as well.

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

fred,
    i ran into this same problem and when i talked to stephen he told me that they made the draglink a little longer than what you need. this way you can adjust it to what you truck needs. on mine i had to cut off 3/4 off each side to to make it work.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not sure on the clearance on a blazer, but as far as the drop, I believe he will custom make them in any drop. Mine was custom made and it's around 5" if I remember correctly, maybe a little more.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ric,

That's what I figured, just needed a little reassurance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We thread them deep so you can cut them off if you need to. Better too long than too short in this case.

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Thanks Stephen,

The steering works great. The crossover set-up has moved to the top of my list for great mods for a lifted K5.

For anyone worried about loosing the swaybar, I am running RS9000 w/adjustable incab remote. On the street just pump them up to max and off-road just air them down, it seems to work just fine, besides, lifted K5's wern't ment to be driven like sports cars. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

preach on brother...too long than short thats what its all about /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif sorry you left it wide open /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what happens when I put crossover on my 4" lift then upgrade to a 6" lift. Will it be too short then?

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i think it would be ok..but only one way to find out...try it and see what happens...worst case have to order a new drag link...or you steering wheel a little off center

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If the draglink doesn't work out with the ends you have, we have an end with a longer threaded section that would work out just fine for you.