Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover exhaust pipe fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i will be lifting the front end another 2" to match the rear but was wondering what you guys have done to the exhaust pipe that goes right under the front driveshat? it will rub with any more lift. i have a rancho 4" front springs and will be adding 2 more inches. what do i do about the pipe?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, if your Ranchos are like mine, don't worry about it. They have so little flex you may as well be riding on bricks =))

Moer usefully, my truck came factory with dual exhaust, so I didn't have that problem. (Though getting the passenger side exhaust around my clocked '205 for the Doubler was a beeeyotch!) I donno what it's like up there, but down here in the east bay, I couldn't find a parts place to sell me pipe to do the work myself, so I (gasp! shame!) took it to a local place and had them do it.

I did well, though; the guys didn't laugh at my goofy truck, put it up on a lift and had me point out where I wanted the pipe to go, etc etc.

-- A

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

my driveshaft rubs the pipe at full droop. what i wanted to do was run dual exhaust with 2 cats but wasnt sure if that is legal or not...then i started checking out the price of that and it would cost too much. can i see some pics of the y-pipe on a truck that has about 6" of lift or more?

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do a search. There was a thread about this less than a week ago. Go to a small independant exhaust shop. I dropped my t case after a lift and the ft shaft was dead center of the pipe. Took it to a shop and paid 40.00 to have the exhaust moved.

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It is most likely illegal for you to get duals anyways, since you're in Ca. You should be able to find a shop that will fix it for you.

6. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I never did understand why duel's are illegal in Ca. Would they still be illegal if they both had cat's ?

Dan..

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

yep it has to do with a law that says if a vehicle came from the factory with one catalytic converter it can only have one or if two same if three you get the picture it has to be the same number and the same location as it came with from the factory. It is actually a federal law but with Kalifornia's emmisions checks it became a state thing. I was looking at doing the same thing but decided it is not cost effective and it is just more **** to hang up on rocks.