Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Finally Completed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I finally got to finish the crossover on my K5. I used the Avalanche steering arm and a Ford Pitman off a 78 Ford Van. The Ford Pitman had to be retapered to fit the 1 Ton Tie Rod End that matches the 1 Ton end at the Avalanche arm. My rockrod was installed as well. Here are some pics for your enjoyment and if anyone has any questions feel free to email me.

Pics --&gt; <a target="_blank" href=http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/xover>http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/xover</a>

I swapped the output shaft of a 2wd gear box into my 4wd box to save both money and time. Works great with no leaks or problems. One thing I notice is that I will definitely need to install a steering stabilizer as the bumpsteer is pretty noticeable without one. I'll end up purchasing the mounting kit from Rockstomper.

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Awesome---im just getting ready to do this...one ?? i have a droped pitman arm on my truck now---can i still use it for the crossover? how much did the whole setup cost. what else should I plan on buying when diong this.

Thanks

Dan

ps i also emaild you

3. Waxer

Lets see, the steering arm was $98 from Avalanche Engineering, I built my own draglink out of 1.5" DOM tubing 1/4" wall. That cost me about $50 to build. I bought the tie rod ends from Autozone, those were $48 for both. The pitman arm I got from the boneyard, that was $8. The machine work on the pitman arm was $40 and the machine work on the knuckle was $50. The 2wd output shaft for the steering box was $5 from the junkyard so it looks like I paid a total of $300. Give or take a few bucks for small things like spray paint and a bandait or two =)

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks sweet.....but I have to ask you to clarify: Bumpsteer or Excessive road feel?

Everything I've heard about crossover steering says that bumpsteer is ELIMINATED completely with it. Just curious if that's what you really mean.......because I'm really counting on x-over to solve my current bumpsteer issues with the stock setup! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Waxer

Unfortunately you have been mislead or just havent read enough valid data on the subject. Both Stephen Watson from ORD and Steve Fox from here talk about the increase in bumpsteer due to the crossover. Here is what Stephen Watson had to say on the subject in a previous post.

"Stephen
    (CK5 Member)
    03/16/02 10:35 AM
    Re: cross over steering [re: BadDog] Reply

Russ is once again on the right track. Stock steering is fine for bumpsteer control and is lousy in roll steer (articulation) control.
    With crossover a perfectly level draglink (not really possible to achieve withour trucks) will be relatively free of bumpsteer since it is long and starting level it will have little lateral movement though reasonable vertical travel. Since we have some angle on it to start with, we get bumpsteer. In body roll/articulation, the crossover is very tolerant of the steering angle of the axle housing under the vehicle so you have better performance in this mode.

Stock steering has a short draglink but it's designed in a location so that it moves with the suspension to created very little bumpsteer through a pretty large range of vertical travel. But stock steering is not tolerant of body roll/articulation. In a stock vehicle the swaybar works to limit this type of motion and makes the trucks comfortable to drive.

So we compromise with crossover and live with some drawbacks in one mode to have functional steering in the other mode. Stock steering works better in one mode and not at all in the other.

ducati, I recommend sticking with what you have. Wait till you use it harder off road and actually experience steering problems before you solve them.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    www.offroaddesign.com"

So unfortunately if you are doing this mod to fix your problems, you are looking at the wrong solution.

6. Waxer

P.S.

Read Steve Fox's article which also describes why and how crossover INCREASED the amount of bumpsteer.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/ordcrossover.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/ordcrossover.shtml</a>

Hope this helps.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Waxer,

Well the information is good, and I certainly trust the "source".....but I can't say that "HELPS"!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif It looks like I am somewhat screwed....

I'll have to ask Steve more about this.....I could have sworn he mentioned that a crossover setup would make my setup better (less bumpsteer) than I have now....

You know it's funny....I've read the Steve Fox articles a bunch of times, and never noticed that he is actually talking about "bumpsteer" as a negative that you have to deal with as part of the swap!!! Talk about only "seeing what you want to see".....!!!

8. Waxer

haha I hear ya man.

Fortunately my K5 isnt a daily driver, its just a trail rig so I only have to deal with it when I go wheeling. Which is certainly tolerable. Since I'm only into rock crawling I felt it was needed as I have been in too many situations where I lost my steering due to the stock setup.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hahaha! I'm doing almost EXACTLY the same thing this week end! Avalanche arm, Ford van pitman, Avalanche inserts, and all. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I also just sent you a PM about the re-taper required on the pitman. I hadn't even noticed this post until after I sent the PM. Oh well...

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cross over bump steer is worse than *stock* drag link setups for normal levels of axle movement. However, if you've lifted your truck and didn't get the drag link back level, the cross over will likely be better than what you have. Also, you moved the axle forward and shortened the drag link, which shortens the radius of the arc at the axle end, which increases bump steer still more for the factory "style" drivers side config. I don’t have much choice, my axle is going 2” forward so the stock config wouldn’t work at all.