Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Ford and Jeep style

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NateInChandler, Mar 18, 2007.

1. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, been thinking about this one a lot lately.. has anyone done this as of yet with proven results??? What im thinking of doing (and travis helped me) is taking the stock tie rod, sleeving it and turning it around so the steering stabilizer hole is on the passenger side.. do the normal crossover 2wd sector shaft and then bend a drag link to go to the stock tie rod (but flipped obviously), this is how it is on the fords and the jeeps and i havent heard of any problems as of yet... whats your thoughts on this and does anyone have any pictures??? Thanks.. nate

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Stock tierods even sleeved are weak. Matt has bent his sleeved D60 tierod in several places. Those TREs with the steering stabilizer holes are weaker then normal TRE's also.

If you are going to do booty crossover you would be better served doing a BEEF tierod then welding on a metal piece for the draglink to bolt to. You will have to be careful to get the ratio of the pitman arm very close to the hole you install the draglink to otherwise it will screw up your turning radius. The other problem with this is the angle on the TRE's is greater because the tierod is so low.

The best way to do it is the way it is generally done. It is stronger & more reliable.

Harley

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

as a high steer set up or left down in the sotck mounts?

if ya leave it stock that hole where you want to bolt in the drag link is right under the spring.

the way I have seen it down is getting the TRE that has the hole in it and not the tube. that way you can build a beefy tube and still run a stock end.

my cherokee had the funky inverted Y steering and I changed it as I TACO'd it. and that was just 33's

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

He is talking about leaving it lowsteer. If you were going to hysteer there would be no reason to run the steering that way since you would already have the flattop knuckle & steering arm bolted to the knuckle like normal.

Harley