Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover fuse glowing

Discussion in 'Audio' started by four_by_ken, Nov 8, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, got my 'system' all hooked up. I am real happy with it for the amount fo money I put into it... very little.

I have noticed that if I turn it up quite loud... the fuse to my crossovers will start to glow.

Arent fuses supposed to blow, not just glow bright orange. Enough to start to light up the interior. Kind of cool, bu is it supposed to do that?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll betcha that the fuse in there is NOT the correct original rating.....

someone may have swapped in a larger one to keep it from popping fuses. Check the manual or amp itself for the correct rating, and get that fuse replaced.

3. four_by_ken

This is the fuse in the crossover, not the amp. And its brand new.

Kind of strange.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The door speakers with the crossover are MBQuart which are rated at something like 300watts by themselves. I also have two 4x6 Kenwood, forgot the kind, but they are the high end KJenwood. All these are powered by a Kicker Z100 or something like that. Its a 30x2 amp. So, I dont think I am over powering them by anymeans. The kicker was test at 202 when bridged.

I have another Kicker amp of the same kind bridged powering a single 10 MTX.

It all sounds pretty good. Just need to clean up some static whine.

Just that damn crossover starts to glow when I turn it up real loud, real loud. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

are you talking about an active crossover that uses power from the fusebox or passive ones that are inline with speaker wires?

5. four_by_ken

In line with the speakers, so external power.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. rubbinz raczn

i guess inline with speakers was a dumb question all crossovers are /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif what i mean is you hook up power and ground as well as rca's what brand?

7. four_by_ken

No power or RCAs to them, just speaker wires from the amp. I think I already mentioned, they are MBQuart component set. Good quality stuff.

8. rubbinz raczn

those are passive crossovers. those shouldn't have fuses. are you sure it's a fuse and not something that they put in to look cool? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. four_by_ken

When I noticed this the other day, it was dark ans I was driving. Well, I looked again at it in the light. And it looks just like a fuse... but I dont think it is one.

I am starting to think it was just put there to look 'cool.'

Time to cover it up.
    /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Take a picture and post it up, i'm interested to see this. Glowing fuses I think are bad things.

-Chris

11. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

sounds to me like some kind of light to look cool, ORRRR, a protection device that starts to show its going to shut off due to thermal overload in the system, i have home speakers that will shut off before blowing out, but never heard of the light thing, just an idea?

12. barryb

barryb Registered Member

that is a protection circuit, companys have been doing it for years, it is a light , not a fuse at all, it passes power up until its wattage ratting and the "extra" makes it light up and waste the extra audio current - so it doesnt burn up your stuff - works the opposite of the old polyswitch circuits that shut the tweet off until it cooled.

those fuse-light circuit are usually only to protect the tweeter .....

13. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

Ok Sorry This Is So Late Im New In Here But What You Are Talking About In The Crossover Is A Tweeter Protection Bulb Wich It Acts As A Fuse If You Are Running To Much Power To The Tweeter It Will Blow But If Your Running Max Power It Will Light Up Thats Why When You Turn Your System Up Loud It Lights Up No Worries Depending What Brand The Crossover May Have A Tweeter Level Switch That You Can Reduce The Db Going To The Tweets Mine Has A 0db/-3db/6db Selections If It Blows You Should Beable To Get One From The Audio Store You Bought Them From I Have The Rockford Fosgate Fnq Series I Have The Part# For The Bulb In These