Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover-high steer pros and cons?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Apr 15, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the great replies concerning my crossover steering question previous post. Since I'm definitely going with crossover steering, I'm also thinking about going with high-steer arms as well.

Are there other advantages to having high-steer, other than moving the tie rod above the leaf springs?

What disadvantages are there?

I'd appreciate responses from people who have this set-up on their rigs, and that actually use them for four wheeling. Thanks!

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The biggest draw back to histeer is the heavy load it puts on the king pin. Some people fear (my self included) the extra stress will cause the springs to wear out really quickly and can even break a knuckle, especially when using a hydro set up (as the load of turning both tires is placed on one pivot point). It sure does make sense to have the tie rod above the springs though. A lot of guys run it with few problems just be ready to replace the king pin springs often (the upper kit is only $18ea so why not). You could also shim the spring for a little less give.
    just my .02

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif