Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover/histeer arm 1" spacer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thedrip, Aug 20, 2004.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

crossover/histeer arm 1\" spacer?

When doing crossover+histeer on a stock d44, is a 1" block nessecary to get the tie-rod to clear the leaf springs? It looks close eyeballing it on the truck, and I'm trying to avoid buying the install kit twice, or spending money for the spacer and 4" kit that I don't need to.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: crossover/histeer arm 1\" spacer?

Are you running a thick leaf pack or a zero rate in the front? If not you should be ok with standard arms without spacers. There are also arms available with the .5" and 1" spacer machined into them so you don't need to use the seperate spacer.

If you end up needing the spacer then use bolts instead of studs for your steering arms. I am running 4" Grade 9 9/16" fine thread bolts in my are and spacer. Works fine. Saves alot of hassle and cash too. The Grade 9 bolts cost me $3 each or something like that.

Since you are in the Phoenix Metro area you are welcome to stop by my place and look at my arm and spacer setup. There is also pictures in my webshots album that is linked at the bottom of my posts.

Are you going with hysteer or lowsteer crossover?

Harley

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I'm undecided on what I'm doing yet, I'm trying to figure out whats needed for each, and what the cost is. I was looking at a few different manufacturers for arms, then I found a guy on ebay that has significantly cheaper arms (probably because they're ridiculously inferior) and it got me thinking about possibilities. Most likely I'll end up doing a low-steer crossover system, with a ORD, parts mike, or sky steering arm. Any comments on the three (or other suggestions)

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running the Sky arm and spacer. They are good quality with great customer service. They price is good too.

Low steer is a little cheaper since you don't need 2 steering arms. I also like low steer for the fact that the tierod takes some abuse offroad instead of all the impacts hitting the axle tube and diff cover. If you get a beefy tierod it will take lots of punishment. I like the idea of the tierod taking the abuse because it is a replaceable part instead of the irreplaceable axle tube takeing the hits. 1/2 ton front axletubes are bendable.

My tierod has a wall thickness of 3/8" so it will take lots of hits and never complain. It isn't hard to make your own tierod. You can use 1/4" wall DOM and it will take all but the hardest hits without bending. That is what I made my draglink out of for crossover. It is pretty beefy.

Harley

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I belive Sky just added the tall arms to their line. I run the spacer same as Harley mentioned wish I could have got the taller arm when I did mine /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Also as mentioned above you "shouldn't" need a spacer if you aren't running a 0-rate or a real thick leaf pack.
    Here is a pic of mine
    My draglink rubbed the spring without the spacer so I had no choice. Don't run one if ya don't need to it just adds stress on the studs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]