Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover / Hydro steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Blazer, Dec 27, 2006.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I a little confused on crossover and hydrolic steering maybe someone can shed some light on this topic.

Can you use the stock steering set up and add Hydrolic to it:confused:

Are the hydrolic rams just a little bit of a helper to the cross over.

What is the point of crossover steering if you have to ad hydrolic steering to it later:confused:

I'm just looking at the cost for both not sure which way to go.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Crossover makes the draglink longer therefore the as the suspension travels there is little to no effect on the steering. With the stock steering if you get crossed up you will not be able to turn your wheels due to the short length of the draglink causing your tires to turn if that makes since. The reason for Hydro Assist is to do just that "assist" with the turning of your tires. I have a welded front and turning the tires was doable only offroad if the hubs were locked. With assist I can turn the wheel with 1 finger with the front end locked up. It also allows you to turn your tires regardless of what is against them. If I had my hydro on the last time I went out I could have turned against the side and driven out
    P1010012.JPG
    Instead I did this.
    P1010020.JPG
    P1010015.JPG

Ira

P1010020.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010012.JPG

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think you can put hydro assist on regular steering as it attaches to the Tierod and not the draglink but as stated before the suspension flexing will still **** up your ability to steer when crossed up.

Ira