Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover is done - great quality parts and no DW

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BurbinOR, May 17, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks again Stephen for the advice and the supply of high quality parts for my D60 crossover project.

Best news of all is the truck now tracks straight and not even a hint of the dreaded <font color=red>death wobble.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Glad to hear it, even though it's pretty easy to fix (steering stabilizer/s) it's nice if you don't have to in the first place.

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I put my crossover in a couple of weks ago (thanks stephen) but I still have DW. I am going to put a stabilizer on but need u-bolts for the tie rod, it is a sleeved Rockstomper rod.
    I ran into a small problem with the drag link though. I had to cut about an inch off of the passenger side to put the steering wheel straight. Other than that, the quality is the best i've seen

4. crewchief264

crewchief264 Registered Member

I just finished my crossover with od steering and pitman arm, and went to the junk yard for a 2wd box and used old tie rod bar(cut and retapped) with tie rod ends except I used a different part number to get rid of stabilizer hole in oem part. however it seems like my bump steer is worse and i run 2 stabilizers w/36in tsl radials. i don't know maybe its the worm bearing in the box needes to be adjusted??

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear about the bump steer - I have NO bumpsteer after this conversion. Strange, some guys do and some don't ..........

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think bumpsteer is a matter of driver feel and driving habits. I know I can tell the difference in the steering systems but that's kind of my job. Other guys can't or don't mind. Technically a crossover steering vehicle HAS to have bumpsteer, it's just the way it works. How much or how big a deal it is varies from driver to driver and truck to truck.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just interesting to me how over the past two years we've read that crossover both ADDS bumpsteer and REDUCES it..........only thing I can say *in my case* is it is so close to GONE that I am ecstatic. Running over train tracks at 50 mph and the truck and steering wheel remain straight is a good sign to me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif