Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroadcowboy, May 6, 2004.

1. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Hey CK5 ers check out this website and their crossover steering kit. Is this a good deal? Are these the correct parts for a crossover conversion? If not what else would you need?
    Crossover Kits

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That price seems a little high to me plus you should have a matched set of knuckles. Doesn't say whether or not the arm has the 10* correction in it or not? Draglink is not bent to clear the engine crossmember either. Check out Sky-manufacturing or ORD both great kits, but they do not supply the knuckles so hit the yards they aren't too hard to find. I am having mine machined right now by Parts Mike for $35. Personnaly I would stick with companies with good user feedback ie. Sky and ORD /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Call Sky and ask them about there stuff. They do bent draglinks that are better then the straights. You have less clearence issues with the engine crossmember.

I am using Sky's steering arm, arm spacer, and extended studs. They are all good quality pieces.

If you do use that setup in your link you will need to make sure that your tierod will mount up to both your knuckles. D44 flattop knuckles usually mount the tierod from the top and everything else mounts the tie rod from the bottom. So if you don't have a top mount tierod now you will have to get another (driverss side) knuckle that has the hole from the top. Then be carefull to put your tierod in the knuckle holes before you mount the knuckle otherwise you might not get it in the holes.

The other thing that the kit didn't include was an HD tie rod which is something you would want. I would avoid the kit in the link above for this reason.

Harley

4. offroadcowboy

Thanks for the good info. I am still trying to decide if i do a crossover now with the 6 lug knuckles or wait until i go 3/4 ton and then do it .It seems to me that if i do it now and i go 3/4 ton in the future that all i would have to change is the knuckles,spindle,backing plates,and hubs. does that sound right? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Hossbaby50

The knuckles from a 6 lug and 8 lug axle interchange. Everything from the knuckles out on 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles interchange unless it is a large hub external hub D44. Then the hub and locking hub are different. So if you do the crossover on your current knuckle you just swap that knuckle to the 3/4 ton axle you buy later. So it doesn't really matter if you do it now or later.

Harley

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That stuff looks like absolute crap. Those steering arms look like some crap that I would make in my garage. I'd avoid that stuff like the plague.

Call ORD or Sky and do it right. Don't settle for some hack job crap like that. They painted the arms black to try to keep you from seeing how messed up they were.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

For once I'd have to agree with Tim. I went ORD and am very satisfied with the quality.

8. offroadcowboy

Bear with me for a second here. If i wanted to do a 3/4 ton swap in the future i wont be changing the knuckles just the spindle ,backing plates,hub ,roters and calipers? what about my lockouts? Sorry if these seem like stupid ?'s just dont want to waste my dough.

Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Hossbaby50

1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front axles (as long as they are both internal hub) are the same except the wheel hub, rotor, wheel studs, and brakc backing plate.

Knuckles, spindles, calipers, locking hubs are all the same. They interchange.

Harley